• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

RS Windshield/Dash/Fairing Rivets

King

"Enthusiast"
The R100RS was originally equipped with brass inserts that attached the dashboard to the upper fairing panel. Black nylon rivets were then inserted into these brass "rivets" to attach the windshield to the dashboard and upper fairing.

The brass inserts are shaped like a ferrule with one end flared. The trick is to place them in position and crimp the unflared (inboard) side with sufficient pressure to secure the dashboard to the upper fairing panel.

The question... what type of diabolical German tool is needed to crimp these things in situ? I installed nylon bolts and nuts, but the compression needed to hold the dash to the fairing panel creates stress and deflection in the windshield.

Any information out there? Anyone been here before?

Thanks.

Been there.

Yes, I have been "there". The factory tool can be ordered via your dealer for around eighty U.S. last time I checked. A better option might be to purchase well nuts and screws from Desmoparts in Houston. Phone is:713-222-0832. Then you can remove and re-install at will without use of original parts. I have not done the well nuts as yet but will when I take the fairing apart to re-paint. You can also hold the whole mess together just using nylon screws and washers with nylon nuts that are available at hardware and automotive stores. They come in black. Bob's BMW sells them as well.

Mountains in Iowa?

Thanks. I'll check those two sources.

Mountain King from Des Moines?

I worked in the ski industry for many years. Ski instuctor, ski school supervisor, ski school director, etcetera. I came to Des Moines to be near a then Jr. High aged daughter whom is now attending college. I will be moving back out to the Rockies soon. I have loved the time with my daughter and have enjoyed Iowa. Miss the mountains and the snow sports industry.

Good luck on the bike! I sure love those ol' RS's and currently own one.

RS dash rivets

I still have my 81 RS. Just last year wen tto the "K" dark side and stepped into the 90"s.
First time I had it painted many years ago I knew a machinest friend whom loves little tech problems like this.
I drilled out the original brass ferrels, barrels or what ever you want to call them.
He made me a compression device to compress the new ones.
Simple, two machined ends that pull together and roll and compress the unformed
end of the ferrel / barrel. Which by the way goes to the inside.

If you promise to return it, I'll send it to you to use/borrow for your project.

Good Ol MOA memeber honor code.

Just let me know where to send it.

You can use my work e-mail. " jpberens@qg.com "

Back