• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Removing R100RS dash-to-fairing ferrules

ezwicky

I am resurrecting a barn-find '80 R100RS and trying to dismantle the fairing pieces to take to the painter.

I have the fairing off the bike but I am having trouble getting the ferrules (rivets?) out which secure the dash to the fairing center and sides.

Brook Reams' writeups usually guide me, but in this case I can't get the purchase I need to deform the ferrule heads with a pair of side-cutters like he does.

Trying to drill them out, the ferrule just spins with the drill bit.

Is there a tool for this? I'm probably missing something obvious - my wife says I have "refrigerator blindness" - but I would appreciate any advice you all can give me.

Thanks in advance,

Eric Zwicky
Richmond VA

Drill

Sorry Eric, you are having problems. I have always just used a sharp drill bit on slow and kind of hook them at an angle. As you say the problem is they spin, take care not to enlarge the holes in the plastic dash board if you want to reuse it.

I take it you are talking about the brass hollow rivets? I know they use them on the RT fairing but my mind has slipped on their use on the RS fairing? I have both an RT and an RS I don't remember them on my RS? Of course, I have a teflon memory LOL, soon as I get in the garage, I will check. St.

Sorry Eric, you are having problems. I have always just used a sharp drill bit on slow and kind of hook them at an angle. As you say the problem is they spin, take care not to enlarge the holes in the plastic dash board if you want to reuse it.

I take it you are talking about the brass hollow rivets? I know they use them on the RT fairing but my mind has slipped on their use on the RS fairing? I have both an RT and an RS I don't remember them on my RS? Of course, I have a teflon memory LOL, soon as I get in the garage, I will check. St.

Thanks Steve. Yes, the hollow brass rivets in the dash itself. The dash holds the fairing pieces together. The windscreen attaches to the dash with black platic screws. At least that's the way this bike came to me.... possibly that is an aftermarket adaptation.

I've seen a ton of threads about replacing those rivets, but not much on the removal, which is necessary to separate the pieces.

I will try again the drill method today, thanks.

ah

I remember the plastic screws, LOL, funny I don't remember the rivets. I'm still in the house and haven't gotten to the garage yet to check. At least with the RS mounting system, it is not such a big deal to oversize the holes in the dash, the screws hold everything together, not like the RT fairing where the rivets hold things together. On the RT fairing because of the tilting windscreen, there are no plastic screws to hold the screen to the dash and the dash to the fairing. So, if the holes in the dash get oversized, things don't hold together well, just rambling, LOL.

Sharp side cutters will work as well. St.

You might want to try a small sharp chisel and carefully deform the lip on the rivet in twp places opposite each other. That brass is pretty soft so don't get carried away and damage/gouge the plastic.

You might want to try a small sharp chisel and carefully deform the lip on the rivet in twp places opposite each other. That brass is pretty soft so don't get carried away and damage/gouge the plastic.

Thanks, I will try that.

Those rivets were a pain to remove. As I recall I was able to use a drill, but I might have needed to grasp the backside with something (vice grips?). I decided to use some small screws and nuts with rubber washers for the replacement when the body work came back from the painter.

Back