• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rocker end play

K

kitze2

Checked the valves on my 2000 rt the other day. All were perfectly in spec. I've done the valves a few times in the past and always check the rocker end play. Since the rocker clearance was always in spec (measured between 6 and 8 thou) I've never messed with it. Well, being the born tinkerer (and trying to avoid the hen party in the house) I figured I'd tweak 'em a little bit. Set them all to 2.5 thou. Holy internal combustion Batman! It's like a new bike. Mind you I never really thought it was too clattery before. But now...Super quiet and it sure seems smoother. I don't know if it really is of course, could just be the lack of sound that makes me wanna think that it runs better. Setting them to the exact clearance is a PITA since they move slightly when everything is tightened down. But man, oh man is it worth it. I know this is nothing profound, I just am amazed at the difference. I showed the mrs and she looked at me like I was nuts, of course she always gets glassy eyed when I talk about bikes. Just wanted to share my excitement with somebody.

Last edited:
Checked the valves on my 2000 rt the other day. All were perfectly in spec. I've done the valves a few times in the past and always check the rocker end play. Since the rocker clearance was always in spec (measured between 6 and 8 thou) I've never messed with it. Well, being the born tinkerer (and trying to avoid the hen party in the house) I figured I'd tweak 'em a little bit. Set them all to 2.5 thou. Holy internal combustion Batman! It's like a new bike. Mind you I never really thought it was too clattery before. But now...Super quiet and it sure seems smoother. I don't know if it really is of course, could just be the lack of sound that make me wanna think that it runs better. Setting them to the exact clearance is a PITA since they more slightly when everything is tightened down. But man, oh man is it worth it. I know this is nothing profound I just am amazed at the difference. I showed the mrs and she looked at me like I was nuts, of course she always gets glassy eyed when I talk about bikes. Just wanted to share my excitement with somebody.

I have only really dealt with the R1100RS and R1150R on this issue - but the range from minimum to maximum "in-spec" is huge relatively speaking. I set them near the minimum. If you are near the maximum you they will be quite noisy.

Yeah the spec is pretty wide. If I remember right it's .05mm to .3mm. Which is a pretty big diff.

I just did mine last week, and I have to agree...it's like riding a new bike. I am still a noobie as far as working on my RT, so I am sure each time will be easier with better results.
Maybe it's just because the bike runs smoother and quieter, but there seems to be a little less oomph! mid RPM range 3500-5000. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of power, it is just different though.

Back