• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Road trip prep and TB Balancing

hadabadachada

Was supposed to go on a trip Miami to PA this week, but a co worker got sick so now the whole covid crap stopped that, bummer. Still thinking of going to the dragon, just sleeping on the side of the road or something, spend a couple days riding through the smokies for my birthday. I need to plan something last minute.

So, in attempts to prepare, noticing my rear pads looked very skimpy, I went for the brake job. Real big deal on this bike, 04 R1100S, with the linked brake stuff. Ordered the funnel and some pads. Bleeding the 6 ports on the ABS is a real pain. Think I got it all right though. Saved quite a bit of money doing it myself anyway. When taking the gas tank off, to do the brakes, and the fuel filter, forgot I did that, I noticed the plastic disconnects leaked a bit when I put them back together. Went to harbor freight and got a 5 dollar 244 piece gasket set, vs bmw 5 dollar a piece gaskets lol, sheesh.

Doing the filter, it looks like everything should get replaced at some point, hopefully not too soon. But the fuel pump has parts of the plastic coming off, all the hoses have little cracks in them, really need to do the whole job. Bunch of little rust bits and plastic bits in the tank, maybe from the filler? Not too sure, scooped that out.
Looks like changing the filter stopped the issue I had with having to really crank the gas to start it sometimes. Cranks up pretty easy now. That saved some money too, put on a new gasket.

Went to do the valves and balance the throttle bodies. Valves were almost perfect, minor adjustments on a couple of them, that was quick. However I pushed the peep hole rubber straight thru into the hole, I was freaking till I searched the forum. Phew. Gotta get a new one.

On to throttle bodies. I made the hose with tranny fluid rig. Didn’t check all the free play, but the right TB adjuster screw is almost all the way out, doesn’t seem good. Figure I probably need to replace the cables at some point too.
Spun the adjusters under load and messed with the screws a bit on idle. Took awhile as I was screwing and twisting stuff like crazy, trying to get the right side adjuster screwed in a little more, adjusting left to right right to left. I think I got it as good as I can with what I have.
I noticed when I was riding around tonight that my gear shifts are smoother. Thought that was interesting. Used to be a bit harder 2nd and up.

After doing all this it seems like I’d like to get steel brake lines, as I feel like that’d make me feel better but I don’t know if they have them because of that crazy split rig on the front line.
Brakes are pretty good, but what a serious job, not a big fan.
Throttle cables seem like a real job, happy I was able to get it at least somewhat good, rides well.

Now to figure if I’m going to leave tomorrow for a long joy ride or not.

Is it easy to pull over and have a nap in the Smokies? Don’t really want to look for a motel.

When you worked on the throttle bodies, did you remove the big brass screws BBS? You should have removed the BBS, cleaned them, cleaned ports in the throttle bodies that they screw into. When you spray TB cleaner into the port, remove the cap or hose at the vacuum port at the bottom so that excess cleaner drips out.

From the description, it sounds like you aren’t getting enough air into the bypass.

There should be brake hose kits available for the bike.

Stealth camping

I do not know about stealth camping in the Smokies but watching the movie Deliverance should make you sleep better. I know canoe trip versus motorcycle trip, but still in the woods.:whistle:)

Back