• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rileous/98 K1200RS/Canbus

rileous

Can anyone tell what models use the Canbus electrical system? And even better would be a tutorial on just what the Canbus is. I had the low beam headlight socket burn out. I thought it was just the bulb, but it was a bad socket. I ordered one and with my fat hands had to remove both fairing sides, windshield, upper fairing and headlight module to be able to do a decent repair. The previous owner had installed a 'fuss buster' and had what seemed to be miles of excess wiring balled up and zip tied to the front sub frame. Since I don't use the device I decided to remove it. Of course I got too aggressive and killed my Darla driving lights (installed by dealer). Researching this thru the Darla web site, they mention the Canbus module and how it is wired in conjunction with the install of said lights. I have not found this module and intend to get back into the bike in a friend's garage but am worried about the module. Could the dealer's tech have hidden the module under the fuel tank?

Can anyone tell what models use the Canbus electrical system? And even better would be a tutorial on just what the Canbus is. I had the low beam headlight socket burn out. I thought it was just the bulb, but it was a bad socket. I ordered one and with my fat hands had to remove both fairing sides, windshield, upper fairing and headlight module to be able to do a decent repair. The previous owner had installed a 'fuss buster' and had what seemed to be miles of excess wiring balled up and zip tied to the front sub frame. Since I don't use the device I decided to remove it. Of course I got too aggressive and killed my Darla driving lights (installed by dealer). Researching this thru the Darla web site, they mention the Canbus module and how it is wired in conjunction with the install of said lights. I have not found this module and intend to get back into the bike in a friend's garage but am worried about the module. Could the dealer's tech have hidden the module under the fuel tank?
The CANbus is less a "thing" than a "way of working." A Control (or Central) Area Network bus is nothing but a communications network, with an associated software protocol that lets each component hooked up to the network send or receive information to/from another component, on a network having as few as two wires.

For example, (on bikes later than yours) the central computer (ZFE in previous models, now several separate modules that share the central control duties) controls the flow of current to the headlight. If the ZFE detects an abnormal condition (e.g., too little resistance in the line (a potential short), infinite resistance (a bulb burned out or a potential break in the headlight wires), the ZFE cuts off the supply of current to the bulb, and -- over the CANbus network (or its less capable sister, the LINbus) -- sends a message to the instrument cluster saying "turn on the bulb fault light."

Another use is for one system to send a message to another as an input. For example, the ASC system upon detecting rear wheel slip, can send a digital command to the engine control unit to retard engine timing or slightly close the throttle plate.

On the Darla's, your 1998 K12RS far pre-dates BMW's use of CANbus. Also, if the Darlas are more than a year or so old, they were installed before the Clearwater CANopener module was available. In any event, your '98 couldn't use the module.

I suspect that the problem is that you have simply disconnected the power and/or ground wires that are linked to a relay that supplies power to the lights. I'd suggest starting at the lights and tracing their wires back upstream to the relay, and from the relay to the power and ground sources.

If you still have it apart, replace the skinny ground wire to the light assembly with heavier gauge wire. This is a known problem with the K1200 series, and most likely the cause of the socket failure.

Thank you. Darla confused me by sending data for a later bike than mine. I thought it would just be a matter or restoring the power and ground leads but their wiring diagram showed the Canbus module and I could not find it. Awesome response time also. This was my first post of a question and I did not expect a reply for a couple days. May God bless, Rileous.

QUOTE=mneblett;995288]The CANbus is less a "thing" than a "way of working." A Control (or Central) Area Network bus is nothing but a communications network, with an associated software protocol that lets each component hooked up to the network send or receive information to/from another component, on a network having as few as two wires.

For example, (on bikes later than yours) the central computer (ZFE in previous models, now several separate modules that share the central control duties) controls the flow of current to the headlight. If the ZFE detects an abnormal condition (e.g., too little resistance in the line (a potential short), infinite resistance (a bulb burned out or a potential break in the headlight wires), the ZFE cuts off the supply of current to the bulb, and -- over the CANbus network (or its less capable sister, the LINbus) -- sends a message to the instrument cluster saying "turn on the bulb fault light."

Another use is for one system to send a message to another as an input. For example, the ASC system upon detecting rear wheel slip, can send a digital command to the engine control unit to retard engine timing or slightly close the throttle plate.

On the Darla's, your 1998 K12RS far pre-dates BMW's use of CANbus. Also, if the Darlas are more than a year or so old, they were installed before the Clearwater CANopener module was available. In any event, your '98 couldn't use the module.

I suspect that the problem is that you have simply disconnected the power and/or ground wires that are linked to a relay that supplies power to the lights. I'd suggest starting at the lights and tracing their wires back upstream to the relay, and from the relay to the power and ground sources.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your assistance....sorry to take so long to reply, I had trouble accessing your message .
If you still have it apart, replace the skinny ground wire to the light assembly with heavier gauge wire. This is a known problem with the K1200 series, and most likely the cause of the socket failure.

Back