• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Right to repair, a larger movement than I thought.

In Massachusetts, I don't know if RTR covers motorcycles......or any other of the power sports vehicles they MAKE an owner register.

OM

From what I've read, the lack of consensus here regarding the right to repair is around what the MOA's should do about it and not on the right to repair. I don't want to turn this thread into a discussion on what the MOA should do about protecting the right to repair. That should be saved for a separate thread.

Yes the other thread is more appropriate place to discuss MOA's involvement in the issue. The other thread however, left me with the impression many felt modern equipment has passed the point of DIY repair, and that use of computer technology and requirements for scan tools made things even more impossible.

In Massachusetts, I don't know if RTR covers motorcycles......or any other of the power sports vehicles they MAKE an owner register.

OM

I haven't read the specific language, but it would be par for the course if the idiots (politicians) only limited it to certain items.

Yes the other thread is more appropriate place to discuss MOA's involvement in the issue. The other thread however, left me with the impression many felt modern equipment has passed the point of DIY repair, and that use of computer technology and requirements for scan tools made things even more impossible.

I would say that you're correct in your assessment that many owners are not comfortable with working on modern complex and highly technical BMWs (or other vehicles).

Myself, I am OK with doing a great deal of the work on my motorcycles and vehicles and would like to have the information and specs to do the work correctly or at least to be able to make an informed decision on my capability to complete it. I have the BMW manuals for all of my bikes except the newest one for which there is nothing available now. I have even manufactured my own specialty tools as needed for some repairs and have not required taking any of them in for repair except for recalls or warranty. I am seeking whatever knowledge and data I can from other sources for the new RT, but it is sparse and limited in scope thus far. Most of what I've found should suffice for at least the majority of general servicing.

The many owners who are unlike me and want someone else to do the work should at least have the option of having whomever they feel is qualified do it and not be forced to rely solely on the dealerships.

While I'm satisfied with taking the bike in for maintenance and repairs, I also support the right to repair. So, I don't think it's reasonable to assume (I'm not saying that your are) that those who are OK with taking their bike in for maintenance are not supportive of the right to repair.

While I'm satisfied with taking the bike in for maintenance and repairs, I also support the right to repair. So, I don't think it's reasonable to assume (I'm not saying that your are) that those who are OK with taking their bike in for maintenance are not supportive of the right to repair.

No worries. I think probably indiferent is a more apt description, which is understandable, I myself suffer from the same for many cause's.

Given what’s been going on with some car marques, I can see the cause for concern! :ha

I have been telling you that the social media sites are a plague.
Note- this is tictok.
To be fair, they steal $100,000 + cars but mainly for export.
OM

Can’t tell how current this as I stumbled on it this evening and the CBS site requires a bit of work to view the video-

Farmers champion "right to repair" laws
In some cases, American farmers aren't able to or allowed to repair the equipment they own. Right to repair laws are aiming to change that — and may have other implications. Barry Peterson has more.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/farmers-champion-right-to-repair-laws/

OM

Can’t tell how current this as I stumbled on it this evening and the CBS site requires a bit of work to view the video-

Farmers champion "right to repair" laws
In some cases, American farmers aren't able to or allowed to repair the equipment they own. Right to repair laws are aiming to change that — and may have other implications. Barry Peterson has more.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/farmers-champion-right-to-repair-laws/

OM

Nice link. It opened right up for me, and at the bottom is very small print is says Aug. 26, 2023.

U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass. (L) speaks with Bob Lane, the president and CEO of Direct Tires & Auto Service, in Watertown, Mass., and U.S. Federal Trade Commission Chairperson Lina Khan on Thursday, Feb. 22, 2024. Warren visited the auto repair shop to stress the importance of Massachusetts' Right-to-Repair Law

A lot of ads to weed through but a bit more on the Right to Repair fight.

OM

OM,

I use the Brave browser and they have a feature called "Speedreader" that effectively cuts out all the ads and images, making for a much cleaner
reading experience.

Clearly there is a massive gap between what we have now and being able to purchase some form of a service manual..Fingers Crossed.

Maine passed our own version of the Right to Repair law last November with 84% of the people supporting it. One of the key aspects of the law was a database of telematic data from all manufactures for independent shop use was to be setup and maintained by the State (bad idea in its own right), has now been shot down by legislative action due to cyber security concerns. We will see where it goes.

Back