• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Riding after surgery...........

nhbmw

Well, this *is* the Campfire, so almost anything goes.

I'm having prostate surgery on the 25th, and the doc wants me to take it easy afterward. How easy and how long are relative terms. I'll have to be sensible and not injure myself, but I'm bummed at losing part of the riding season.

Has anyone else been through this, or other, abdominal surgery? I'd like to know when you could ride again with the strength to control the bike safely.

Please PM me with any comments. Or, we could keep it public and gross out everyone! Thanks.

Art W.

Grandfather had the surgery

IIRC the doc didn't want him to strain while the stitches were healing, stool softener was involved. No lifting of heavy stuff either. Maybe those two go together.

I'd be a schosh worried about the external stitches as it were. Once those are out...

You guys have identified two significant assessments that need to be made: strength and endurance, and protection of sutures.

Another is this: are you still undergoing treatment or taking meds which might conflict with treatment required after a crash? If so, you might choose to wait a little longer, so that an unexpected ER visit won't be even more difficult.

I'm sorry you have to go under the knife for this one. For a gland the size of a walnut, that little bugger can cause alot of grief. Anyway, I think it depends upon how invasive the surgery is and which approach they take. In anycase, I don't think you miss too much of the riding season. Hope all goes well.

I'm one year and two weeks post surgery. Better plan on taking a month off the bike. Bumps in the road can be pretty uncomfortable. Lifting is a big issue. Putting a heavy bike on a centerstand can be tough.
Final advise: if possible have the surgery done with a DaVinci robot. It is waaaaay better than the old way. Feel free to ping me with questions. Good luck! geoff

Thanks to all....

I'm one year and two weeks post surgery. Better plan on taking a month off the bike. Bumps in the road can be pretty uncomfortable. Lifting is a big issue. Putting a heavy bike on a centerstand can be tough.
Final advise: if possible have the surgery done with a DaVinci robot. It is waaaaay better than the old way. Feel free to ping me with questions. Good luck! geoff

I really appreciate the comments, advice and good wishes both public and PM'd.
The weather in New Hampshire is GLORIOUS, and I'm riding the wheels off the RS and Bonnie for the 6 days remaining until....I'm grounded. Then I'll monopolize the hospital's wifi and catch up on back MOA and Triumph RATnet posts!

Thanks again,
Art W.

I really appreciate the comments, advice and good wishes both public and PM'd.
The weather in New Hampshire is GLORIOUS, and I'm riding the wheels off the RS and Bonnie for the 6 days remaining until....I'm grounded. Then I'll monopolize the hospital's wifi and catch up on back MOA and Triumph RATnet posts!

Thanks again,
Art W.
Way to go, Art! Good spirit will get you healing as fast as anything. :thumb

Back