• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ride to Nova Scotia- Part 1 through the Smokeys

Nova Scotia ride

Glad to hear Jeans aren't your normal riding pants. I see it all the time and it makes me nervous to think of the consequences should a mishap occurr.
As you state so well. "Luck favors those who are prepared." You couldn't have said it better. I've tried all kinds of riding gear over the years and found the one piece Aerostich does it best for me. I have two one piece suits.
One is a well seasoned (1992 vintage) I use for summer riding,warmer weather.
The second is a few years old and is a full size bigger to allow for layers of heavier cloth, electrics etc. under the suit.
The only thing I have found as I got older is the suit had sustained some closet shrinkage. This seems to be a common problem since they will last a lifetime and we tend to put on a little weight as we age gracefully.
I must say, after reading your article I wanted to pack the bike and head out. I have not yet done the Cabot trail but am looking forward to doing so in the near future.

Have fun and ride safe,

Steve :type

jrdinct said:
Randy,

Great post!!! Where are you headed next?

Thanks.

For the big summer vacation ride next summer, I'm hoping to spend more time in Oregon and Washington and explore British Columbia and Victoria. I'll try to include Bear Tooth Pass next year along with parts of Colorado, Utah, Idaho, and Montana. Love riding those places.

I really enjoyed your ride report. Thanks for taking the time to share. 2 Questions.
The restaurant you ate at in Saint john New Brunswick, was it about a 1/2 outside the city in a little place called Pocologan? If it the place I am thinking of it is about 1/2 hour from where I live and I have never eaten there! Just think I might get a recommendation from a guy in Texas about a restaurant I pass all the time! I think I need to get out more!! :laugh
If you don't mind my asking what kind of camera do you use?

spottybond said:
I really enjoyed your ride report. Thanks for taking the time to share. 2 Questions.
The restaurant you ate at in Saint john New Brunswick, was it about a 1/2 outside the city in a little place called Pocologan? If it the place I am thinking of it is about 1/2 hour from where I live and I have never eaten there! Just think I might get a recommendation from a guy in Texas about a restaurant I pass all the time! I think I need to get out more!! :laugh
If you don't mind my asking what kind of camera do you use?

From memory I had passed a couple of cool seafood restaurants while I was heading east I believe on Route 1 and they were on the north side ( Westbound) so I kept thinking there were bound to be more of these on the eastbound side. There really wasn't until I came across this place by itself on my right. What I can tell you is the parking lot wasn't paved and you had to go down hill from the road to pull up to the place. It was I'm guessing on the Bay of Fundy perhaps a few miles further west of St John. ???

If you're out in that area, by all means let me know if you find it. Looking at a map it may have been Pocologan for sure. As you can see it's right on the water. I'd love to hear if you find it and know for sure where it's located. Try the scallops. I was trying to eat light that day, and the folks at the other table got them. :eat

Yep it was Pocologan! Thats a hoot. I am going to make a point to go there before they close for the season. You are really lucky you were there on a clear day. If the fog had been in the bay, yes the Bay of Fundy, you may have driven past the restaurant without even noticing it! I swear I have driven through Pocologan and the temp has dropped at least 10 degrees. They are building a new border crossing for St. Stephen-Calais. We are having a provincial election here this month so I am sure we will have promises of more money and a firm date before we go to the polls. There is a second crossing just as you come into Calais, but is is not well marked and unless you know about it most folks from away would go right on by. It is usually not quite so busy.

spottybond said:
They are building a new border crossing for St. Stephen-Calais. There is a second crossing just as you come into Calais, but is is not well marked and unless you know about it most folks from away would go right on by. It is usually not quite so busy.

Boy that's one I'd like to know for the future. I haven't posted the last part of my ride , but my oil leak caused me to bail out of riding Gaspe. Everyone tells me that's a wonderful ride and I really missed out for sure. In any case I crossed back into Maine at Vanceboro on a Sunday and couldn't believe I was the only one coming through there to cross back into Maine. Consequently the border guards had nothing to do so they made me open all my cases for them.

Hope you enjoy that restaurant.

I am laughing out loud!!!! We crossed at Vanceboro 2 years ago. We were just out cruising around and we landed there. The 3 guards were out of the booth before we got out feet on the ground. I think they were thrilled for the company and wanted to keep us around too! We didn't have much for them to look through so we had to give details on our bikes while they ran our plates!
How about Vanceboro for a happening spot!

An excellent ride report. I especially loved your photos. Many of these were places that I rode through in July, but unfortunately I did not use my camera as frequently as you did. Through your post I was able to show my wife the small ferry on the Cabot Trail, the ferry from PEI to Nova Scotia, certain stops along the Cabot Trail, as well as the landscape in the NE US that I passed through. Plus, you photographed some of the individuals that you met along the way. In hindsight, I wish that I had done that since I met many very interesting people. You have given me a reason to take more photos on my next trip.

Thank you.

Another Paul F, this time from Roanoke, Va, commends you on a great ride report and pictures that more than do justice! I also rode that area this summer; first through the Adirondacks, then the BMW Rally in Burlington, then I went to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. I did the Cabot Trail first counter
clockwise on my bike, then rode to Halifax, where I parked the bike and rented a car, as my wife flew in. On our ride that evening, a moose emerged out of the Cape Breton Highlands Park, but I managed to bring the car to a stop. He left before I could get his picture.. We stayed in Bay St Lawrence, and next day took a whale watch boat, and saw 50-75 whales; a humpback treated us to a shallow dive under our boat. Captain said it was one of his best sightings ever. Next day, we stopped in the Park to watch a black bear eat berries 25-30 ft from the car. Following day we returned to the mainland, where we watched the Bay of Fundy hang boats on dry land as the tide ran out. Wife flew out the next day, so I set up camp east of Halifax and toured the mainland. Stopped in New Brunswick to explore the Hopewell Rocks. Returned to Roanoke. I wish I had your talent with the camera. Your pictures just took me back! They are enough to convince other bikers to do the trip.

:type ...glad that we could be of service Randy in helping to make part of your trip as successful as it was. Your photo essay was well done and very enjoyable. Some places we have been to and others remain future destinations....made even more inviting through your photos. After a brief visit to Texas in '01 we want to venture back there at a slower pace and we will, most certainly, seek your advice as well. -Bob

Great report

I love reading reports like yours.The pictures and route info allmost take us along.I have been to the Blue Ridge PKWY many years ago.You've made me want to return.The motels certainly ease the packing situation.

Thanks for taking the time to share your trip with the rest of us.
:kiss :kiss

It looks like you had a great time.

Looking forward to your ride report from your next trip.

This ride report has a life of it's own. It seems to fade away and then come back with more replies. Thanks everyone for your kind words. I hope to do a small add on about my visit to Vermont and part of the ride back to Dallas soon.

Back