• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Replacing the /6 cork gas tank seal

THOMASPIN

Airhead
After 43 years my gas cap started leaking when full, only ceasing to do so once 2 gallons had been used.

IMG_8451.JPG

Time for a new gas cap cork seal - p/n 16 11 1 230 603.

The pivot pin is serrated and only comes off to the left, using a pin punch:

IMG_8496.JPG

Vise grips depress the seal against the strong spring to expose the retaining rivet:

IMG_8484.JPG

A Dremel abrasive wheel is used to grind off the rivet head, taking care not to remove any of the post material:

IMG_8486.JPG

Dismantled - old seal - shot, spring and rubber spacer on shaft:

IMG_8487.JPG

The tricky bit. You need to drill a 0.17” (#17 drill size) hole dead center and perpendicular. I locked the cap in place in the wooden jaws of the vise, checking that the rim was equidistant either side from the surface using a dial caliper as a depth gauge, then clamped this simple right angle drilling jig to the bench after centering. I started with an oversize drill to establish a centered cone cut (a small drill bit is too prone to wandering), then switched to the #17. Sadly I sold my drill press years ago which would have made this easy:

IMG_8489.JPG

The drilled hole is tapped for an M6 x 1.0mm bolt, which is 0.23” in thread diameter (I’m mixing metric and English!):

IMG_8490.JPG

The tapped bore. I used WD40 as cutting lubricant:

IMG_8491.JPG

Ready for reassembly - rubber collar, spring, washer, lock washer and stainless steel M6 bolt, after blasting everything with compressed air. Blue Loctite is used on the threads:

IMG_8492.JPG

Job completed - note the vent hole to relieve tank gas pressure - orientation is irrelevant:

IMG_8495.JPG

The first seal lasted 43 years so I will be replacing this one when I am 110.

T.

Last edited:
Back