• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Replacement drain plug

chelseaboy

09 F650GS, 08 Suzuki Band
Ok so I rounded off the edges of my oil drain plug - there is such a small area for the socket to grip. From "doing the google" I see I am not the only person this has happened to. I understand there is a replacement drain plug that can be tightened and loosened with an allen key and before I have at the rounded one with a vice grip to remove it I want to order the replacement. Any one know where I can order this and a part number? My local dealer has been useless, they say they have never heard of this replacement.

Thanks in advance.

Norm

Ok so I rounded off the edges of my oil drain plug - there is such a small area for the socket to grip. From "doing the google" I see I am not the only person this has happened to. I understand there is a replacement drain plug that can be tightened and loosened with an allen key and before I have at the rounded one with a vice grip to remove it I want to order the replacement. Any one know where I can order this and a part number? My local dealer has been useless, they say they have never heard of this replacement.

Thanks in advance.

Norm
Hi Norm, see if this is what you are looking for-
http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/8154010.html
Gary

Do you have the F650GS twin or the thumper?

You might want to confirm the fit before ordering ....

The newer F650GS twins and F800GS twins did switch to a new drain plug with allen key torx drive hole, not sure if BMW released a new P/N to go with that change or not..................

The Twin

Do you have the F650GS twin or the thumper?

You might want to confirm the fit before ordering ....

The newer F650GS twins and F800GS twins did switch to a new drain plug with allen key torx drive hole, not sure if BMW released a new P/N to go with that change or not..................

The website says the one I ordered should fit it...I will let you know how it works when it arrives.

Tired of replacing torx drain plug

I finally got the stock drain plug out (2nd time) and had enough. I ordered a Dimple drain plug. I installed it today and it is a 17mm bolt head. Much easier and I can't wait until the next oil change. Should be much easier.
Randy

You ought to be thinking about accidentally stripping the motor thread if you can't get a drain bolt out without making a mess of it.
New crush washer and easy does it is sufficient-you can feel a crush washer give when its tight enough but don't miss that crush and overdo it..
Replacing the gorilla who put it in is the best way to prevent trouble, not a bigger bolt head. The stock bits are intended as gorilla insurance..

Chelseaboy,

You might want to consider investing in a decent torque wrench too. Your work will be just right. Not too tight and not too loose. I use one on all kinds of bike work.:thumb

Back