• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Replace spark plug wires???

Snip and twist......

When replacing my coils last spring (Motoelectric) I ditched my accel yellow wires and caps, went back to stock after snipping off enough wire from the end to bare clean copper, and then twisted the stock cap end back into place. Stock is so simple.

Also works to find all grounds throughout the bike, find them all, check for any corrosion, snip, crimp on new fastener, solder, clean and fasten with proper dielectric grease! I'm sure you all know this already, but I couldn't stop myself.

When replacing my coils last spring (Motoelectric) I ditched my accel yellow wires and caps, went back to stock after snipping off enough wire from the end to bare clean copper, and then twisted the stock cap end back into place. Stock is so simple.

Also works to find all grounds throughout the bike, find them all, check for any corrosion, snip, crimp on new fastener, solder, clean and fasten with proper dielectric grease! I'm sure you all know this already, but I couldn't stop myself.

Thanks. Yes, having owned a couple of early '80s Yamahas recently, I know a bit about trouble shooting.

My new BMW is not/has not caused any trouble. Regarding spark plug wires, the resister in the cap - from what I've read - is as much a risk as the wires themselves. And, as I discovered on my 1980 XS850 Yamaha, new wires and caps ain't expensive and might make a very noticeable improvement.

My R75 wires are original, but caps aren't.

My R90 wires and caps are original, but I noticed the right side arced to the engine the other day when I started it. Maybe I need new ones?

Original????????

Never heard of Preventive Maintenance?

Sheesh, are you running your original oil filter as well?

Regards, Rod.

wires and coils, good info

Well I guess I'm in the 'aint broke don't fix it' camp but having thought about this, my corvettes (previous '85, current '92) LOVE getting new spark wires, once it fixed a mysterious running problem that all kinds of other efforts would not solve.

So, sometimes it's broke but you don't know it; and I guess that's what PM is all about...

I'm ordering wires from MotoElekt, and having just read another guys comments about asking to buy coils and told, don't need em by these folks, I had just asked the same question myself.

Thanks for the info and advice.

Rick is the best !

I have never purchased new spark plug wires from Rick but I had him rebuild a nine tooth Bosch starter for me. Very inexpensive and fast! Turned over like new when I got it back and reinstalled. I recommend him.

MotoElekt

I have never purchased new spark plug wires from Rick but I had him rebuild a nine tooth Bosch starter for me. Very inexpensive and fast! Turned over like new when I got it back and reinstalled. I recommend him.

Having found these guys here on MOA, sent Rick an email Saturday saying I would like plug wires, maybe also coils, for my 78 R100s. He emailed me back Sunday night (!) giving me costs and info, called him today and ordered, nice and helpful as everyone here says for sure.

And I got coils too, 2 @ $85 I think, the plug wires about $25 I think.

Let's see, at my BMW shop that $110 would have bought me... 11 quarts of oil and a smile.

I'm going to go through all the electrical contacts, grounds ect I come across per info in this and other threads, hit them with contact cleaner and dielect grease (also from Rick, $4).

If it ain't broke..............

what you're not realizing is that at 30+ years old, those wires ARE pretty much functionally "broke", it's just not readily apparent, because the bike hasn't reached full failure mode yet. just wait- there will come a day....and it will very likely be a wet day.
and in between now and then, you're getting less than optimal performance from your machine.

30 years old, men and bikes

what you're not realizing is that at 30+ years old, those wires ARE pretty much functionally "broke", it's just not readily apparent, because the bike hasn't reached full failure mode yet. just wait- there will come a day....and it will very likely be a wet day.
and in between now and then, you're getting less than optimal performance from your machine.

Yep, over 30 pretty much everything goes down hill. But kidding aside that's a good point, when I pull my own 30 yr old plug wires and coils off to replace with the new gear from MotoElekt, I'm going to dissect them and see just what they look like, and if possible previous to that, see if I can get the engineers where I work to do some testing and see just what shape they're in. If and when that happens I'll share the results.

I'm also a guy who ran the same tires on this bike for.. well never mind how many years, they were low mileage, looked fine... but wow did the handling and feeling of security return when I put on new rubber last summer. Didn't know what I'd been missing and expect maybe will get a similar result from new wires, coils and even fresher set of plugs.

I just placed an order with MotoElectric for plug wires and ElectroPods (as noted above). Then I read about Rick's $5 rotor bolt on another thread and asked Rick to add that to my order. Quick email back - no additional shipping charge! I'll post when the parts arrive and I've installed them. Great customer service and competitive prices. I checked around on plug wires and ElectroPods.

The parts showed up Saturday - talk about fast delivery! Plug wires and LED brake lights are installed. :clap for Rick.

Ricks parts, all good, look great

My coils and wires were here within days, he also threw in extra sets of installation bolts a bit longer than stock that really saved my butt. Bike started right up and while we're in monsoon season, didn't ride it but sure sounded great. He's the best. Has the BEST $9 tool (custom bolt) for removing the.. whatever.. anywhere.

I'd like to test the old parts, original '78 stuff and see what level they were working at. Also if someone needs them for any reason, glad to donate. The bike ran fine with them and till I ride it with the new parts and notice any difference (?) I'd say they were at least at 90%.

Next, spline lube. Ugh. First time and reading on the various sites it looks like a lot of drudgery and many hours for a first timer.

Manfred, are these from Fleabay? The descriptor sure sounds like ones I've viewed. Now I haven't had to use the services of Rick at Motorrad Elektrik yet, but I do have the Omega charging system from him that was on the bike when I bought it last summer. Check the posts here, you'll find him highly respected. He has nice wires for sale on his site, not much more than what you're considering. And you'll be making contact with someone who will save your bacon when you have a weird electrical problem. Support him. I plan to.:thumb
Steve.

+1

Excellent Post!

Ride Safely,
BrickRider

+1

Another excellent post, as usual, from 'Fish.

Ride Safely,
BrickRider

I've been having intermittent problems on a Ducati lately. Sometimes would really have trouble running, wouldn't idle, and would only keep going, if at all, under really high throttle, shaking like crazy all the time.

I tried time and time again to track down the problem.

Happened again the other day. I managed to get it running at a stop, and was looking down at the engine, only to see electricity flashing around the top of a spark plug boot. It was wet out (melting snow) and the cap was obviously bad.

Wrapped it with electrical tape, worked for a while but symptoms recurred within ten minutes. By then I was at a local NAPA, where I bought a wiring kit and fabricated a new plug wire. Problem solved.

That wire wasn't more than 2 years old, either.

The major problem with copper core plug wires (as I see it) is that when the insulation gets old & dried out the wires will short to ground easily anywhere they are near metal or YOU! Also while riding in rain they will short out, then miraculously work again when dry.

I'm told that getting a jolt from these wires can be harmful to your health as well.

The cheapest thing on a BMW......

Back