• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Replace spark plug wires???

M

Manfred

One thing I recently did on my old Yamaha that greatly improved its performance was replacing the 30 year old spark plug wires. They have a resister in the cap that breaks down over time.

Is the situation with older BMWs the same? Is it good practice or a waste of money to replace spark plug wires before they flat out fail?

IMHO, it's a good idea to replace spark plug wires periodically. I wouldn't let a set go more than ten years, no matter how "good" they still look.

My '78 plug wires and caps are original. I've not noticed anything unusual with the bike's performance or mileage.

I just replace the original sparkplugs wires on my 82 R65 after what seem like a fuel problem was realy an ignition problem.

Don

Replace spark plug wires

I recently experienced a problem with my 82r100rt. Out riding , running sweet. Shut the bike down for a quick stop. When I fired it up it was running on one cylinder, no warning, Turned out to be spark plug wire, my wires were original. Replaced them both. I would probably go with the 10 year rule or sooner.

My Experience

My /7, which had always been reliable, began running like crap on one cylinder while riding in some rain a few years ago. I thought I was going to have to pull over and try my luck at some troubleshooting several hours from home.

Fortunately, the rain stopped, and the bike started running like normal again. I replaced the ignition wires after this experience, and had no other problems.

A stitch in time saves nine. :)

Plug wires

One thing that Mac taught me about the original spark plug wires was before you replace is to check the end that plugs into the coil. Over time that end can corrode due to moisture and just plain time. You can repair that end and when you put the repaired end back into the coil make sure the end is all the way in. The BMW wires are not cheap. Good luck. Kevin:brow

Thanks to all ya'll who posted.

97077 - I haven't found any BMW parts that are "cheap"! Ain't as bad as a Harley.

For my Yamaha, I bought after-market wires that another rider had recommended. Great quality. Same vendor has a set for my boxer for $30. I see no reason to buy BMW branded goods for commodity parts.

The BMW wires are not cheap.

Make your own plug wires. You can buy NGK resistor plug boots at any bike shop that sells dirt bike parts and get the wire of your preference at any good speed shop or serious auto parts store. I just save my scraps from building hot rod engines; there are a lot of high quality cut-your-own wire sets out there, the next time your replacing a set in your car, do your bike while you're at it with the residue. A good plug wire stripper-crimper is money well spent.

One problem I ran into in making my own wires for my Yamaha - the automotive wires are 8mm diameter. The Yamaha coils are designed for 6mm wire and can accept 7mm - but not 8mm. I guess I'll measure the wires on my BMW so I know the option.

Wires

Manfred you are right about nothings cheap. I'm just glad we can still get most of our beloved Airhead parts. Still don't throw out those old wires. I have NGK wires on my R80 but love the look of the original BMW wires. Kevin:brow

The wires I'm looking cost $25 including shipping. Here's how they are described:

These are brand new high quality replacement ignition/spark plug wires for most BMW R-Series motorcycles. They feature the NGK 1K or 5K Ohm plastic plug caps, high temp silicon wire, heavy duty coil boots. If you're having cold start or wet start issues it could simply be that you need new ignition wires. Available in RED, BLACK, BLUE or YELLOW wire.

Please specify color and resistance when ordering. Electronic igition bikes use the 5K and Points/Distributor bikes use the 1K.

These wires come with a limited 5 year warranty.

The wires I'm looking cost $25 including shipping. Here's how they are described:

These are brand new high quality replacement ignition/spark plug wires for most BMW R-Series motorcycles. They feature the NGK 1K or 5K Ohm plastic plug caps, high temp silicon wire, heavy duty coil boots. If you're having cold start or wet start issues it could simply be that you need new ignition wires. Available in RED, BLACK, BLUE or YELLOW wire.

Please specify color and resistance when ordering. Electronic igition bikes use the 5K and Points/Distributor bikes use the 1K.

These wires come with a limited 5 year warranty.

Manfred, are these from Fleabay? The descriptor sure sounds like ones I've viewed. Now I haven't had to use the services of Rick at Motorrad Elektrik yet, but I do have the Omega charging system from him that was on the bike when I bought it last summer. Check the posts here, you'll find him highly respected. He has nice wires for sale on his site, not much more than what you're considering. And you'll be making contact with someone who will save your bacon when you have a weird electrical problem. Support him. I plan to.:thumb
Steve.

Last edited:
Steve,

Yup, the wires I'm looking at are listed on eBay - same as the wires I put on my Yamaha.

I checked http://www.motoelekt.com/ and found plug wires for older airheads, but nothing for electronic ignition airheads. Am I missing them?

I got mine from Rick. You already have the link. Rick is a great resource. He will give you very good advice over the phone and won't well you stuff don't need.

My '78 plug wires and caps are original. I've not noticed anything unusual with the bike's performance or mileage.

My R75 wires are original, but caps aren't.

My R90 wires and caps are original, but I noticed the right side arced to the engine the other day when I started it. Maybe I need new ones?

I got mine from Rick at Motorrad Electrik also.

I tried to buy new coils from him, but he politely refused to sell them to me, cause I didn't need them.

Lost a sale, won a customer for life. Wish there were (a lot) more like him. - BrianK

Back