• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Removing clip for fuel filter wire harness?

Can someone help me with the proper technique for un-hooking the clip that holds the hire harness onto the fuel pump plate? There is about a million different set ups for these locking clips and I don't want to break the plastic fingers getting this one off. I'm just replacing the fuel filter but it appears I can to a better job of it with the whole unit out of the tank. I assume that means removing the two vent hoses also. Can I use screw type clamps on those also, or should I try to find the one-time-use ones that are on there now. I thought those needed special pliers, am I correct there? Thanks.

Attachments

• SAM_0315.jpg
    SAM_0315.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 78
  • SAM_0316.jpg
    SAM_0316.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 78
zip tye fuel pump harness

Just replaced my fuel filter cut zip tie took another old one out of tank put little hose clamps that take a screw driver to tighten. Will let you know if things don't work out.

I just went through the whole process of replacing the filter and sock. Bought everything I needed from http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/ they had the filters, the sock and all the screw type clamps for both the fuel hoses and smaller ones to replace the vent clamps. I just opened the stock clamps and replaced them with these units.

For anyone attempting this job, the electrical clip has two arms on either side of the male part. You have to squeeze them both at the top, near the wires, together, and the thing will unclip and slide out of the female holder. Since only dealers seem to be able to crimp the special BMW hose clamps, small screw type hose clamps are about the only solution. As stated, zip ties are going to do it.

Since only dealers seem to be able to crimp the special BMW hose clamps, small screw type hose clamps are about the only solution. As stated, zip ties are going to do it.

Baloney. These are standard Oetiker clamps and you can have a tool that works for $28 from Amazon. This tool works for both installation and removal

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008L48A86/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Oetiker clamps are far superior to screw-type clamps, and using screw-type clamps is a very bad idea.

The screw type clamps offered by the source I used are smooth in the inside, all the way around. Using hose clamps as found in your local auto parts store is a bad idea as that style with the open sections for the screw threads eats up the hose, not a good idea. No special tool to use these, especially when you are on the side of the road somewhere.

Thanks for the information, Ikchris. I did not know I could buy those off the shelf as it were. I may well consider getting a set of the pliers and the clamps. They do a nice job. I think the filter set I got does have the smooth type clamps, although the other type are definitely superior.

If I keep buying tools to work on this bike I will someday be able to open my own repair shop. Wait,....I may be there already.

There is no real pressure on the vent lines. Cut back hoses 1/2", replace and use a zip tie to secure.
Come across lots that are modded that way.

Back