• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Remove the alarm, 05 1150R

Pasta_Mouse

I'd like to remove the alarm on this bike. It doesn't respond to the fob, I never need it and I think it may be draining the battery but can't be too sure about that one.
Tried searching the site. Put in all sorts of versions of the question but got nothing usable in the results. Somebody told me that it's really easy. Just unplug everything and clip one wire. Can't remember which one but you can find it on Google. Nope...
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Open up Google and enter - SITE:forums.bmwmoa.org"alarm"
I didn't see anything particularly useful there, tho... :scratch

The first thread in the Similar Threads pane below wasn't much help, but interesting to see that in that person's process, they reached a point where the bike wouldn't start. :scratch

I don't have a schematic for the alarm hookup, but it is reasonable that the computer would kill the bike if it thinks somebody f'd with the alarm...

I don't have a schematic for the alarm hookup, but it is reasonable that the computer would kill the bike if it thinks somebody f'd with the alarm...
That's what'll happen. You have to jump certain wires together for it to work. Otherwise you'll just have a sexy paperweight. I know on the 12 pin alarm you have to jump pins 6, 2 and 10 together but I have the 7 and 3 pin plugs. :brow

I went thru all my OE BMW 4V schematics. No reference to any DWA alarm connections.

Can you provide the wire colours/pin number on each connector? I'll try to trace that way.

Wires

I went thru all my OE BMW 4V schematics. No reference to any DWA alarm connections.

Can you provide the wire colours/pin number on each connector? I'll try to trace that way.

There are 3 plugs. Two come from the bike. First up is a 8 pin plug but uses 7. Here we go!
1 Blu/Red
2 White
3 Grn/Red
4 Grn/Blu
5 Blk/Yel
6 Blk/Red
7 Blu/Blue, purple or violet??

3 pin
1 Red/Wht
2 Grn/Yel
3 Brn

By some miracle I was able to read the pin numbers so they are correct. Some wires the colors change from one side of the plug to the other so these colors were read from the bike side.
Thank you for looking into this!

There are 3 plugs. Two come from the bike. First up is a 8 pin plug but uses 7. Here we go!
1 Blu/Red
2 White
3 Grn/Red
4 Grn/Blu
5 Blk/Yel
6 Blk/Red
7 Blu/Blue, purple or violet??

3 pin
1 Red/Wht
2 Grn/Yel
3 Brn

By some miracle I was able to read the pin numbers so they are correct. Some wires the colors change from one side of the plug to the other so these colors were read from the bike side.
Thank you for looking into this!
No reference to the 8 pin connector or the 3 pin.
There are likely alarm specific schematics which I don't have.

The 3 pin connector appears to be power for the alarm.
Try disconnecting that and seeing if the bike starts and runs and that all the lights work.

Can you post a picture of all the connectors?

No reference to the 8 pin connector or the 3 pin.
There are likely alarm specific schematics which I don't have.

The 3 pin connector appears to be power for the alarm.
Try disconnecting that and seeing if the bike starts and runs and that all the lights work.

Can you post a picture of all the connectors?

I unplugged the 3 pin and no start. The fuel pump doesn't prime when you turn the key on. The alarm is made by Gemel. All I could find when I put the number into the Google machine all I got was stuff like people selling them used. If you need a pic of anything specific like the plug ends let me know. Thank you!

Attachments

• PXL_20230707_012301869.jpg
    PXL_20230707_012301869.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 40
  • PXL_20230707_012232411.jpg
    PXL_20230707_012232411.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 39
  • PXL_20230707_012153324.jpg
    PXL_20230707_012153324.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 44
  • PXL_20230707_012139178.jpg
    PXL_20230707_012139178.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 40
  • PXL_20230707_012117909.jpg
    PXL_20230707_012117909.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 42
  • PXL_20230707_012038551.jpg
    PXL_20230707_012038551.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 42
  • PXL_20230707_012025743.jpg
    PXL_20230707_012025743.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 40
  • PXL_20230702_232312434.jpg
    PXL_20230702_232312434.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 39
It appears like you may be able to unplug the alarm connectors and plug the bike side ones into themselves.
8 pin to 8 pin and 3 pin to 3 pin
Likely the way the non DWA bikes came from the factory.
The rectangular black box is the motion detector, for the alarm.

It appears like you may be able to unplug the alarm connectors and plug the bike side ones into themselves.
8 pin to 8 pin and 3 pin to 3 pin
Likely the way the non DWA bikes came from the factory.
The rectangular black box is the motion detector, for the alarm.

The 8 and the 3 pin come from the bike but I don't see anything to plug them into if I disconnect the alarm. Do you think there are possibly empty plugs somewhere under the tail panels?

Possibly. The fiche picture shows a secondary harness Item 12
These alarms were plug and play by the dealer if someone wanted the option added. No cutting of wires was required.

There may also be a dummy end that plugs into the 8 pin connector that does the jumpering required.

Attachments

• Alarm.jpg
    Alarm.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 35
These alarms were plug and play by the dealer if someone wanted the option added. No cutting of wires was required.

There may also be a dummy end that plugs into the 8 pin connector that does the jumpering required.

Right on. I'm not working tomorrow so I'll have some time to poke around while I wait for my washers to show up for the ABS delete I'm doing on Saturday.
Another question. Where do you get access to the fiche for the bike?

Alright so here's the fix. The alarm is an option and like you suggested it should unplug. So I pulled the tail apart and found that the harness heads up front. Once I traced everything the harness heads off in four directions, all close together. The first is for the LED so I'm not going to bother with that. The second is to the blue 2 pin at the top of the steering head that I just unplugged. 3 and 4 are a splice into the harness that I have my finger on. Unplug the alarm and connect the bike plugs and there it is. Bike runs and all lights work.
Since the alarm harness is really in there and it breaks off somewhere for power from the fuse box I can't see I just wrapped up the forward ends and tucked the rear behind the tray.
Tomorrow is the ABS delete....

Attachments

• PXL_20230707_205623538.jpg
    PXL_20230707_205623538.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 46
  • PXL_20230707_205635918.jpg
    PXL_20230707_205635918.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 47
Mr. Ignorant here, what's this alarm supposed to do? My ride is ancient ('98) and doesn't have such a thing. Love the San Juans!

Back