• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Removal of left grip assembly

FredRydr

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft
I have to replace my clutch master cylinder and probably the left switch assembly. I have both the Haynes and Chilton manuals, but I've been unable to find out how (i.e., where) to disconnect the wiring to the heated grip and the switch. Do zip ties have to be cut and the fuel tank pulled off to remove lengthy wiring looms?

Does anyone have the knowledge to tell how it's done?

Thanks.

Fred
2002 R1150R

Last edited:
Just did the right side on a 02 R

Yes, under the tank are the connectors and zip ties need to come off. You may find they were installed too tightly anyway and are cutting into the harness. The tank comes off easily and the connectors sit on top of the frame

Thanks.

I've had the tank off more times than I care to count (alas, I just filled, it, too!), but never to mess with the stock wiring loom.

I may be asking prematurely, but how do I get the connector for the heated grip wiring through the little hole in the handlebar?

Fred

Thanks.

I've had the tank off more times than I care to count (alas, I just filled, it, too!), but never to mess with the stock wiring loom.

I may be asking prematurely, but how do I get the connector for the heated grip wiring through the little hole in the handlebar?

Fred

Use a jewlers screwdriver or something similar to release the locking tabs on the two connetors for that side. Tie a 3' string to the connectors and pull them through the handlebar while you pull the grip off. Leave the string in the handlebar till you are ready to put it back together.

Back