• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Remembering Paul Bachorz

Visian

look out!!!
At Paul's celebration, Enfoman read a eulogy that was written by Kevin Greenwald.

It was part of a book that Muriel Farrington put together for Paul's family.

The filesize of the whole book is a little too large to post, but it would be good if folks could read what was said.

So here is the text of Paul's eulogy by his beemer friends.

No Greater Love
A Farewell to BMW MOA Member Paul Bachorz

By Kevin Greenwald on Behalf of All BMW MOA Members

The hallowed quote “Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends” comes to us from the 13th verse of John, Chapter 15 in the King James Version of the Christian Bible, and is traditionally reserved for individuals who have made the ultimate sacrifice in order that others might live a full life. Given his military background, certainly Paul Bachorz understood this as well as anyone, and might even protest that the phrase and his name be spoken in the same sentence. But I think it bares relevance, given the dedication with which he entered into so many life endeavors, always striving to benefit others in the career paths he chose, the interests he nurtured and the challenges he accepted. He lived a life of clarity and volunteerism that few today would have the energy to match, and his service to the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America represents yet another chapter in a living autobiography that Paul constantly ‘‘re wrote’’ with gusto, humor and genuine concern for the human condition.

I knew him ever so briefly, as the Touring Tips editor that graciously published more than a few of the suggestions I’’d submit. We met in person at the “Colors in the Catskills” Rally in 2009, where he introduced me to Vince (Winkel) as the “Champion Touring Tips Submitter,” though that was never my goal. He lobbied for me to take over the Touring Tips feature in the BMW Owner’’s News, intending to devote more time to family and other motorcycle interests. He offered unsolicited suggestions on photography and even snapped some pictures of my son and me, which he promptly shared via e mail. Several follow up phone calls later, I yielded to gentle persuasion and took over his role with the magazine, not as a replacement, but rather as someone who merely follows in his footsteps and hopes to be worthy of such faith.

The profound sense of loss that I expressed with his passing at first mystified friends and family, as if I had somehow known this gentleman better than I had let on. But I was quick to clarify that one did not need to know Paul long to have been left with a sense of wonderment at how great a passion for life he held –– his spirit of goodwill was contagious, to say the least.

A review of the impressive accomplishments dutifully noted in his obituary would cause anyone to admire the life he led –– husband, father, patriot, educator, coach, civic leader, photographer, motorcyclist and global mentor extraordinaire. Indeed, though Paul never had to make that split second decision on a battlefield to sacrifice himself for a greater good, he instead dedicated an entire lifetime to concern and service “for his friends” that stands as a testament of his devotion and hope for a better world.

Whenever I need to keep my ego in check, or ponder if my existence is truly making a difference, I take comfort in a quote arguably attributed to Ralph Waldo Emerson, as he struggled to define success. He concluded “To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you lived –– this is to have succeeded.” Though he died in 1882, he did a pretty good job describing a talented individual from Hoosick Falls, NY who would not be born for another 60 years.

Some individuals mistake breathing for living –– Paul left a legacy that showed he understood the difference quite well. Ironically, in the end, it was Paul’’s inability to “breathe easier,” as Emerson phrased it, that closed the final chapter of a remarkable story that deserves to be retold and cherished. He knew that tomorrow is promised to no one, and committed his adult years to service and inspiration that will be missed by his loved ones, shipmates, students... and yes his friends, all for whom he spent a lifetime sacrificing himself.

“No Greater Love ….” honors first and foremost, those who have laid down their lives in a courageous moment of decision. But somehow, it seems to also sum up decades of service and encouragement that one cannot help but acknowledge when you remember Paul Bachorz. Rest in Peace, Senior Chief - you too have earned your place at this table of fallen warriors - now snap their pictures, infect all with your smile and regale them with a witty tale of your earthly travels on a German motorcycle, and how, for too short a period of time, you graced the BMW MOA with your personable nature.

Last edited:
thank you for sharing Ian and thank you Kevin, very touching.

Ian -
Thanks for posting that tribute for those that did not have the chance to make it to the celebration of Paul's very full life. Kevin- with out the words you wrote conveying the your thoughts, I may have not of been able to fill the time to express what Paul really meant to be a trusted friend, devoted member and true compatriot in the Naval service. Paul really touched many many lives for the better and he will surely be missed.

I tried the best I could in explaining how Paul also took that twinkle in his eye and showed me a better way, a caring and noble way of volunteering and getting involved. The following is taken from my thoughts and memories that I shared with the attendees of the Green Mountain Rally just after the International Space station passed above our heads. Somehow, It seemed fitting and a coincidence that happened, as if a shining star and a wish was answered by Paul that all would be alright. I also shared the same words with the celebration attendees and it went like this.............................

Paul Bachorz Memories with him
From What I remember---

Paul was a great person, Shipmate and friend. There are so many things to talk about and directions to take when talking about Paul.
I only knew Paul for about three years but, I feel that I knew him a lot longer than that. I know he will surely be missed. He got me to join the MOV and work with him for the RA rally with his typical smile and unassuming posture that you all know. I spent a lot of time with him riding up in his car during the winter months going to a few meetings. We would talk about Navy Life and Submarines. He, like most I talked to was fascinated with the inner workings of such a ship. Then there were times that along the way we would just sit in the car and be silent for twenty minutes or so. (I guess Rt 7 would do that to you.) That was alright because each of us was comfortable enough to know that eventually, one of us would start off the conversation again. (Every time that we would get to Wallingford, whether it was the first or the fifth time he told me of the only speeding ticket he had in his life was .......... right there and point the spot out as he slowed down from 50 to 30 just past the new posted speed limit sign of 30. As much as he tried to talk his way out of a ticket to the patrolman, that guy would not budge at all and that really irritated Paul I think. But, let me tell you, he drove through Wallingford at 30 MPH! Not 31 or 29, 30 miles per hour EVERY TIME!) When I was working with him on the RA rally, I said I could help out in any way. We met at that little diner up the road from MAX in Troy and he would have his note book and go over some details that he thought out, he would bounce off of me for suggestions and help, and would always say that in order to pull this thing off we would have to have a plan B so that when a problem comes up, we could handle it on the spot. He was one for knowing what to say to keep your interest too. He would after that initial meeting for the RA would forever more call me "STARPOM" (Russian for right hand man) after I told him of my other capacity of being Chaplin and part of the organizing committee for an upcoming submarine reunion where we had invited a Russian sub captain. Well, that nick name has stuck with me and I know that down here I'll have the watch when he is away.
When I went to visit Paul at the Hospital, I explained to the family that I wasn't much into sending e-cards and greeting cards so I dropped off a Navy flag to him where his wife Judy hung it on the wall for him to see when he woke up. I said that when he does, I bet the first words he'll say about it would be that Bob brought that over. I tried to explain how big of a figure Paul really was when Judy was so surprised by the outflow of support from the M/C community. That he was big just not around this area or the country, but with the MOA, WORLDWIDE! and that was Paul, Bigger than life itself.
(It is not easy for me to not have him here. I saw an individual ride up on his GS with the bright Lime green suit and Schuberth helmet and I mentioned to Peggy Ross that he seemed so much like Paul.) Well Paul, I have the watch now and I know that when we ride and swerve around the curves and turns, you'll be watching over us.

Bob

Footnote-
When out for our Chromehead ride on Saturday, on the way back the route was through Bethel and past Tosiers. My last ride with Paul was from the July 2010 meeting at Tosiers and gave me that warm but lost feeling inside I feel good knowing that I could ride with Paul as he said in a few instances that he preferred to ride alone to get to his destination. I hope that by his acceptance of me being his wingman, it gave him some comfort and piece of mind knowing I was right behind his shoulder........... Well, not THAT close.

Back