• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rear Wheel Bearing question

greybeard52

I have cruised through this forum and haven't found the answer to my question. I also read my Haynes Manual, and it said that rear wheel bearings on my 1986 R80RT are beyond the scope of that manual. Hmmm?
So I'm going to replace the bearings on my BMW, that I bought from a friend last summer. I am ordering the tools to pull the front wheel bearings, but I have hit a dead end on information regarding the rear wheel bearing. The bike has about 48,000 miles and I don't think the bearings have ever been replaced from the previous owner's paperwork that he passed on to me.
Can someone aim me in the right direction to find the information that I need?
Thanks,
Bill

If your R80RT is a monolever rear swingarm suspension, then you have a "big bearing" inside the final drive that supports the rear wheel. I have an Oilhead with the paralever rear which also has the big bearing. Quite frankly, with 48k miles, I would be shocked if that rear bearing required replacement. It runs in the final drive gear oil, so it should be adequately lubricated. There should be no play in the rear wheel, and the drain plug for the FD should only have a fine metal paste attached to it when changing FD gear oil. If there is no play, and no pieces of metal attached to the drain plug, you should be good to go with regular gear oil changes.

Thanks for the info

I was wondering if the final drive and the bearing were related. I changed the tires last summer myself and gave the wheels a wiggle once they were back on the bike and they seemed okay. But I'm still replacing the front ones. I'm replacing bearings on my Harley Electraglide, my wife's Harley Sportster, and my 1978 VW camper bus, so I might as well do the Beemer too!
BTW: There was a knock at the door as I was typing this note, and I opened the door to find my new Laminar Lip that I ordered last week for the Beemer. No more shrieking wind around my helmet. I hope!
Thanks,
Bill

Graybeard, Bill, the single sided swingarm with the big bearing are a completely different animal. I looked at the parts fiche, and the setup appears the same as the Oilhead bearing. Look for a video for the Oilhead big bearing replacement, there are at least a couple. It will give you insight into the process. The bearing is stupid expensive, and for the Oilhead, I don’t think there is a bearing supply house alternative. All that I am suggesting is that the big bearing is not a job I would undertake on a casual basis.

Back