• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rear view camera for nav 5

T-foiler

Might be a stupid question. Can a person fit a rear view camera to the nav unit and have it display while riding?

I don't see how. You would need a way to introduce the signal and you need to have software to display it on the screen. Neither of these exist. It would be much easier to add a second screen dedicated to a camera.

Might be a stupid question. Can a person fit a rear view camera to the nav unit and have it display while riding?

You can do what I did, and I love it. While it's not exactly what either of us would hope for it does the job well. As I'm still able to find my way home I don't use Nav V except when traveling out of my area, on trips of sorts, which is usually 4-6x per year as most of the time I'm on local area roads I know well. So I use the GPS Prep to mount a 5" high def LCD monitor where Nav 5 lives. This also means I don't have to be concerned about someone ripping off my Nav V. If they rip of the 5" LCD they can be replaced for not much $$.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?91425-Rear-view-monitor-in-your-GPS-prep

I really like the rear view camera for backing out of parking, for monitoring approaching traffic at stops, as a blind spot view augmenter, etc. The kit I bought was $187, but they can be bought for about $30 on Amazon w/ a lower def but sufficient for this purpose monitor. When I need to put Nav V back in its mount I have to remove two screws that hold down the right speaker grill because that is where I unplug the LCD from power and its camera connection. But that is a 60 second job is about it.

IIRC, the Nav-V doesn't have any built-in way to handle a camera, while the Nav-VI can use/control a Garmin VIRB but not display it. As mentioned, there are ways to get fairly inexpensive stuff that can work for you.

I've just bought this setup. It arrived today so I haven't had time to install and test it. Certainly can't argue with the price, but the screen/control unit is not weather-proof.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Car-Mounted-Biker-Action-Video-Camera-DVR-Front-Back-3-0-LCD-DV168/282920267072?hash=item41df5cad40:g:65IAAOSwcj5ZUKKZ
s-l500.jpg

Don't let the picture fool you everything is quite small. Cameras are 1" square and display/control unit has a 3" display.

Has anyone tried using a wireless camera with their phone as the display? I'd rather avoid Bluetooth - I'm already using the phones BT for making/answering calls.

Ski

Back