• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rear tail light restore

RPGR90s

I'm restoring a R90s and want to use the stock rear tail light bulb. To get as much reflection as possible from the system, I wanted to polish the surface but I honestly don't know what the green material is and:
A) can it be removed?
B) should it be removed?

As the photo shows, I've polished some of the edges with my wheel but the center areas are a being stubborn.

Thanks very much,

RPGR90sRear light housing.jpg

I don't think I've gone that far into my rear lights, but I suspect that there was a plastic film over the reflective material. Maybe that's aged/yellowed and that's what you have. I wonder if you polish it off, you'll have a slightly scratched surface which will diffuse the light. Could you find some thin "mirror-like" material that could be cut and glued over the inside of the light base? Are there spray paints that mimic mirrors or chrome that could be used?

If you can't get it clean, it can be "re-lined" with conspicuity (silver) tape.

tape-mct-1-oralite.jpg

This is the kind of tape that you see on truck and busses that shows up really well. It is sold in rolls and as "strips" and truck parts suppliers and higher end auto parts stores like NAPA.

This is from ZIP's AW. Great place to purchase a number of things related to trucks and load securement. https://zips.com/parts-detail/oralite-daybright-conspicuity-tape-tape-mct

OM

Isn't

Isn't the green, the material under the chrome? I could be wrong but I believe any chrome to polish has long gone away? So now you are polishing the base metal? I could be wrong, I haven't seen a R90S taillight in a couple of decades. St.

I think you’re right, the chrome is gone. You might consider hitting it with a good silver paint.

Max has them!

I just looked on Max BMW and the reflector is list for $39 and some change. I believe the reflector is plastic and it really can't be shined up.

Is

Is the reflector in this thread in the photo metal or plastic? I must be going loopy because it sure looks like metal and I don't remember metal reflectors. But as I wrote it has been awhile since I last saw a R90S reflector. Just curious, St.

Is the reflector in this thread in the photo metal or plastic? I must be going loopy because it sure looks like metal and I don't remember metal reflectors. But as I wrote it has been awhile since I last saw a R90S reflector. Just curious, St.

Not sure about the later Airheads but my '74 R90s is definitely metal. Its not magnetic so my first thought was to polish it. That's when I ran into the green coating that doesn't want to come off. So my educated guess is that it's one of the layers of plating over the metal before the chrome is applied. I guess one other option would be to have it re-plated, but Omega Man's excellent idea of reflective tape has me very interested.

Thanks again!

Not sure about the later Airheads but my '74 R90s is definitely metal. Its not magnetic so my first thought was to polish it. That's when I ran into the green coating that doesn't want to come off. So my educated guess is that it's one of the layers of plating over the metal before the chrome is applied. I guess one other option would be to have it re-plated, but Omega Man's excellent idea of reflective tape has me very interested.

Thanks again!

If you decide you want to try the reflective tape and can’t find a small piece, PM me your mailing address and I will send you a piece.

OM

If you decide you want to try the reflective tape and can’t find a small piece, PM me your mailing address and I will send you a piece.

OM

Very kind of you but I have a roll of tape that I use to seal furnace ducts that should do the job.

Appreciate it!

reflector tape

Very kind of you but I have a roll of tape that I use to seal furnace ducts that should do the job.

Appreciate it!

I think the reflective tape will reflect better, and its made to withstand the elements

Just my .02
Keep the change

Back