• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Radiator Grills - R1200 GSA LC

globalrider

Alps Adventurer
I've Googled and found a slew of radiator grills for the R1200 GSA LC, but I can't seem to find the one I initially saw weeks ago.

There was a Youtube video of them being installed and the installer applied foam strips to the back edges of the grills. The grills had a nice frame to them and they were highly rated. I think they also used diamond mesh instead of all the wild laser-cut designs I have seen.

Anyone have any ideas what brand I was looking at?

EDITED: found them. They are made by Wunderlich. See link and video in post # 3 and 4.

Last edited:
FWIW BMW has announced they may not honor warranty claims for engine damage that might be related to insufficient cooling when radiator guards are in place on water boxers, or at least water boxer RT's. I fashioned my own on a '16RT and noticed zero impact on reported cooling with them on. The only downside I saw was insect debris gets trapped between my guards and the radiator necessitating removing the guards to properly clean them. Mine were made w/ smooth stainless course wire mesh and did not impact air flow much I believe because of the smooth wire. Some pressed aluminum may be a little more restrictive.

I've always considered that.

I used black fiberglass screen and sewed double fold trim to the edges and placed it in front of my oil radiator on my R1150 GS Adventure. It had zero effect on temperature: 5 oil temperature bars before and after.

I plan to use a grill made of diamond shaped wire mesh along with some deflectors. The one I found again was the one from Wunderlich.

I plan to use black fiberglass screen as well to keep the bugs out and easy to wipe away.
I used black fiberglass screen on the radiator of my 500 cc Suzuki RG 500 Gamma with 95 HP. That would be equivalent to 228 HP in our R1200 series BMWs. It had no effect on coolant temperature.

My R1200 GS Adventure LC coolant temperature sits at 83C (181F) while moving with an ambient temperature of 28C (82F).
I'll take note of any difference but I bet there will be none.

Wunderlich installation video for the Xtreme Radiator Guards.

A customer review on the Wunderlich USA site:

Great guard, but not exactly right on 2015 GSA
Tracy Williams
04/28/2015
Very nice workmanship. Does the job and looks great. Had one issue installing on my 2015 GSA: The bracket that's supposed to hold the top of the right side (throttle side) guard has nowhere to attach on the '15 GSA. After replacing the plastic trim over the top of the guard it all stays together just fine. I've alerted Wunderlich to this issue. Four stars for this reason, otherwise I'd give it five.

I wonder if that issue has been addressed?

I ended up going for the Cox Racing Radiator Guards in Silver.

Cox%20Racing%20Radiator%20Guards%20-%20BMW%201200%20GS%20LC%20-%20Silver%20-%20113-18121.jpg

adv designs

I went with ADV designs .. ALT RIDER guards. They don't seem to affect high cooling temp. Made from aluminum. Easy installation and they do, look good. My 2014 1200gsa runs at 82 deg . Celc. on the hwy on a hot day.
I had a post a few weeks ago on the operating temperature. All is good. While getting service done at BMW dealership, nothing was said about the guards.

Prior to installing my Cox Racing Radiator Guards, I made a couple of fiberglass screens for the guards as I have for the oil radiators on my R100 GS and R1150 GS Adventure. The fiberglass screens keep ALL the bugs out for an always clean radiator. A simple wipe of the fiberglass screens and they are clean again.

Before anyone starts on the possible temperature increase that these may cause without actual numerical data, both my R1150 GS Adventure and my new R1200 GS Adventure show no change in oil temperature or coolant temperature, respectively.

Cox%20Racing%20Radiator%20Guard%20Set%2C%20Silver%20with%20Screen%20-%202-XL.jpg

Cox%20Racing%20Radiator%20Guard%20Set%2C%20Silver%20with%20Screen%20-%201-XL.jpg

GlobalRider;1060128[IMG said:
https://photos.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Technical-Stuff/Cox-Racing-Radiator-Guards/i-4kmZTJt/0/XL/Cox%20Racing%20Radiator%20Guard%20Set%2C%20Silver%20with%20Screen%20-%201-XL.jpg[/IMG]

Nice. No one yet makes radiator guards for 14+ RT. Actually Hornig thinks they do but they absolutely don't fit correctly as they were designed for 13 GS. I bought them, installed one, sent them back because they really don't fit and put stress the plastic tabs that retain the black cowling. So I fashioned my own which worked fine but trap bugs so I took them off. While they were on though, no noticeable increase in coolant temp.

What I can't tell is just how often these designs will get radiator punctures you are guarding against w/ guards, so have left them off for now, but I wouldn't mind having the peace of mind of having some installed.

What I can't tell is just how often these designs will get radiator punctures you are guarding against w/ guards.

I do not know about the other models, but on my R1200 GS Adventure, the radiators are completely open to anything that come their way. Plus they are as expected, grossly overpriced.

I am not really worried about punctures; I've never had one in a car in over 40 years of driving, but then cars have grills.

The radiator guards are something I can attach my black fiberglass screening to and as an added bonus they will keep the radiator fins in like new condition.

15-1200GSA - Touratech Radiator Guards

Put them on after some trial runs to see what the actual normal running temperatures were. No change after installation. Normal running temp (from Dash) on my bike is 83 deg. It has gone as high as 100 in some hot temps with long periods of stop and go traffic, but no matter how hot is gets (I live in Yuma half the year) it never goes above 83 if I am moving.

Back