• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rad Fan Failure Report

breyfogle

About two weeks ago, or so, I'm riding home after work. Temperature is in the low 80's (nice for January, even in LA) when I got stuck in stop & creep traffic with no way out. No big deal I think, until I feel something HOT on my right leg. Looking down, I see that my K75S (1988 / 126K miles) is beginning to do a fair imitation of a steam engine. Only then did I notice that the Hot idiot light was on (never seen it on before). The fan wasn't working. My only choice was to get moving and hope for the best. Lane spliting is quasi-legal in California but its not something I do often on surface streets but it worked, at least in the sense that the Hot light went out almost immediately. The motor did continue to pi** coolant the rest of the way home.

Once home, it did not take long to figure out that the radiator fan would not turn. Frozen solid. The next day, I removed the fan assembly and opened up the motor housing. I know that these fans have a history of failure where either the bearings seize or the motor brushes melt. In my case both plastic brush holders either broke or melted, which jammed the metallic brushes themselves against the motor commutator, rendering the motor both electrically useless and jammed.

I ordered and installed a new fan assembly, drained and refilled the cooling system and the engine oil. The bike started easily and sounds normal when idling in the garage. The bodywork is still off so I don't know yet how it will run on the road. Is there anything else I should be looking for or checking ?

I did have one suprise removing the radiator. Drained the coolant, loosened all the hoses, unplugged the electrical connection and took off the radiator. While turning it over to get the last remaining coolant out, I heard a rattling sound, like a ball bearing rolling around inside. That's odd, a radiator should not do that, but every time the radiator tilted, there was definitely a ball bearing type noise. With a little shaking, out fell the 7mm hexhead from an OEM hose clamp! No screw threads, just the head! This particular radiator has not been off the bike in probably 10 years, at least. Would any of the assembled K-bike guru's like to hazzard a guess as to just how part of a hose clamp could end up inside the radiator tank ?

Long story short: check your rad fans, even the youngest K75's are almost 15 years old.

Is there anything else I should be looking for or checking ?

I don't think so; sounds like your bike survived just fine.

The failure mechanism for these fans is they get dirty; when dirty, they jam and don't turn. When the bike gets hot and electricity is provided to the fan motor, fan doesn't turn -> things get hot from the current flow -> brush holders melt. BTDT.

Periodically making sure the fan turns is all that's necessary to preserve it. It's hard to reach with your finger; some riders install a small switch somewhere so that it can be manually exercised (or even turned on at the rider's election when things are warm).

As an added precaution, very closely inspect the overflow hose from the radiator to the overflow bottle, especially around the clamps. If there is ANY cracking, REPLACE the hose.

:dance :dance :dance

The failure mechanism for these fans is they get dirty; when dirty, they jam and don't turn. When the bike gets hot and electricity is provided to the fan motor, fan doesn't turn -> things get hot from the current flow -> brush holders melt. BTDT.

I did a post-mortum tear down last night. The forward end of the motor basket (nearest the fan) had lots of corrosion. The rear was "like-new" clean. The front bushing was actually OK but the spring metal clip that holds it in position had corroded into at least two pieces and fell out. I found the pieces wedged between the motor's stator and rotor, held firmly in place by the magnets.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0050c.jpg
    IMG_0050c.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I did a post-mortum tear down last night. The forward end of the motor basket (nearest the fan) had lots of corrosion. The rear was "like-new" clean. The front bushing was actually OK but the spring metal clip that holds it in position had corroded into at least two pieces and fell out. I found the pieces wedged between the motor's stator and rotor, held firmly in place by the magnets.

Sounds like you discovered a new failure mode: seizing of the motor shaft not due to dirt but instead due to mechanical jam from the pieces of the broken clip. Did the brush holders melt too?

....Did the brush holders melt too?

Hard to tell, exactly. I've never seen new ones, and I did not disassemble my new fan motor just to look. What was left of the old plastic bits are very oddly shaped and have rounded edges typical of plastic that has melted and cooled. Whether they melted or snapped, they were definitely not holding the brushes where they needed to be on the commutator. The wear surface of one of the brushes was also deeply chipped on its corner like from some kind of impact.

Rad Fan

When I used to wrench and had an older rad out, I would take it in to my pro to have it pressure tested, cooked out, and re soldered, if necessary. At the same time, any plastic tanks would be replaced with metal ones.

You're fortunate that you can do this work yourself, Breyfogle; the fan replacement job is an expensive one.

Back