• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R90s

Right...there were some changes but I tend to only remember the 3000 number :eek ...but you consider your R90S and it's advance unit "early"? Have you looked at the number that is stamped on the unit? I'd be interested to know where yours.

that article said the springs were different. who is that that writes those BMW motorcycle Techs?

R90S Timing issue

just installed the points from ted porter and that Fixed the timing issue. Idle s is at the mark and at 3000 f dot is also in the correct mark.
Thank you guys for the advise, I should have just waited for the points but what the heck needed something to talk about anyway.

here is a quote from, Thankfully mine was just the points

Matthew Parkhouse, "It is possible you have Chinese points! Badly out of spec...Ted Porter's will be OK. if that is not the problem, make sure the flywheel is mounted properly - I have encountered two "off" flywheels in my forty years of BMW fixing".

Nice! I love these kinds of lessons...most often it comes down to basics. That's why we love our Airheads! :thumb

This is my bro on his r90s 1974 early model with undrilled disks. Here at devils lake wis. on new years day when there was a freaky 78 deg. day!! I was on my 84 rs. The orange is a beautiful color ,my new 3 wheel elio will be orange if it is made .That orange r90 , my blue rs and our friend Gordy's red Belgian cop rs were the nicest 3 bike colors together going down the road! The bke has 375,000 or so with a bad motor now in a barn.It has 80,000 on it in this picture on Jan. 1. 1985.

Attachments

• newyears day 1985.jpg
    newyears day 1985.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
This is my bro on his r90s 1972 early model with undrilled disks. . .
brewmeister, I'm new to these airheads, and I'm a little confused here. I thought the first R90S was the 1974 model that started selling in about September, 1973. Is there more to the story?

Ray

I recall the original Cycle magazine road test of the R90S.

The last sentence was one word: $3495.

I recall the original Cycle magazine road test of the R90S.

The last sentence was one word: $3495.

Yep, I really wanted one in 1975 but I settled for a Z1B for $2500. Another bike on the list of ones I should never have sold.

I have the 90S I bought new in August of 1975. I paid $$3990 from the dealer in South Bend, IN. I have the January 1976 issue of Cycle and the price listed for a '76 model was $3965. If one wanted to price shop, a new 90S could be had for around $3600 from a dealer in Chicago. A lot of money back then for a motorcycle.

Kinda reminds me of the story my brother tells. Just out of air force boot camp, he was permanently stationed in Pensecola, Fl.. maybe a airman 1st class. Went down to the local motorcycle shop and looked at bikes. BMW's, Moto Guzzi's, Norton's, etc. Went a couple of times. The salesmen was watching him look at those Euro imports. Walked over and told him, Forget it. I know how much you make; those bikes are for Captains, Major's and higher rank. Took him over and showed him a Suzuki Titan 500. These are the bikes you privates can afford. He rode one home to the base the next day.

Back