• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R90S Wiring issues - extra wires

trweber

I am wiring my 1975 R90s and I hope I never have to do this again. Most items seem to work correctly but the following:

The brake light comes on when I turn the key on but goes off when I press the rear brake switch.
The headlight does not go on with the key but the flasher switch will make it light up.
In the headlight I have 2 wires that I have no idea where they go. One is a green/red wire that I know it is part of the brake light. Just not sure what to do with it. The other is a yellow/white wire (thicker). It seems to be a ground.

Can anyone tell me where these wire go or point me to some pictures?
Thanks for your help.
Todd

UPDATE:
My eyes hurt looking at the wiring diagrams..

I solved the issue with the yellow/white wire. It went into a relay.
The green/red wire still doesn't have a place to go.
I think the brake light issue may be tied to working on the brake master cylinder. I don't have fluid in the reservoir yet. What do you think?

Last edited:
Green Red

From what I can see on the wiring diagrams, the green/red wire is your brake light hot wire. I have it showing attachment to both the front brake switch and the rear brake switch. St.

Green/red wire

I forgot to ask, just where is the loose green/red wire at? is it in the headlight shell?

As one who has fat fingers and bifocals, I find it VERY difficult to work in the confines of the headlight housing where most of the wires tie in to the colored board.

Anytime I see someone having an issue where they have just rewired replaced or restored a bike which may have involved plugging or unplugging wires from the color coded board inside the housing I suggest, they recheck their work. It is very easy to get a wire plugged into the wrong spot.

So in this case, IF, you have had the front switch assembly off the bike or have changed it, There is a possibility the green wire, might just be plugged into the wrong spot, or, it might just plug into the board and you can't see the Green/red spot.

Do you get my drift? St.

Back