• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R90/6 Rear Wheel Bearing issues: Advise?

Speedi Sleeve Repair for Spun Bearing

Got everything put back together at around 1:00pm. Took a 250 mile ride up one side of the Missouri river and down the other. I would stop about every 25-50 miles to shake the rear wheel. Roads were mostly rough 2 lane county and state routes. Speeds were usually 80mph with one high speed run of 110mph (the next thread I start will be asking how to get better gas mileage). No problems.

Hi Banzaibob,

Sorry I came to this thread a bit late. But, I figure I'll add another way to solve the problem.

I had a similar problem on a 1973 R75/5 that I rebuilt. I had a Speedi Sleeve added (cylinder that acts as a shim) and new bearings. I asked my local wheel builder, Woody's Wheel Works to do this repair as they were relacing my rims with new spokes and also installed and shimed the BMW wheel bearing stack.

You can read about this repair here and include pictures of the bearing stack with wedding band and inner and outer spacers.
http://brook.reams.me/bmw-motorcyle...-wheels-new-spokes-fixing-spun-wheel-bearing/

Hi Banzaibob,

Sorry I came to this thread a bit late. But, I figure I'll add another way to solve the problem.

I had a similar problem on a 1973 R75/5 that I rebuilt. I had a Speedi Sleeve added (cylinder that acts as a shim) and new bearings. I asked my local wheel builder, Woody's Wheel Works to do this repair as they were relacing my rims with new spokes and also installed and shimed the BMW wheel bearing stack.

You can read about this repair here and include pictures of the bearing stack with wedding band and inner and outer spacers.
http://brook.reams.me/bmw-motorcyle...-wheels-new-spokes-fixing-spun-wheel-bearing/

This sort of thing is done by machine shops all the time - usually on manufacturing machinery, but exact same principles as on a motorcycle.

Old surface is bored out, new cylinder sleeve is made (better out of steel - which is what was done on the front Showflake wheels when they failed) and pressed in (usually also with bearing Loctite) and then bored out for a press fit for outer race (called "cup") of Timken-type roller bearings.

Better than new (factory had the bearings pressed into aluminum - which caused this whole scenario to begin with)!

Back