• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R90/6 '76 wiring harness replacement

plehman

Running extra brake lights in Wixom bags, I cooked a brake circuit and caused a lot of damage. I patched it up and ran for two seasons, but recently purchased a fantastic replacement harness from Britts & Beemers. I'm most of the way through removing the old, crusty original harness (1976) and taking careful notes. The Haynes circuit diagram is not even close to what I'm seeing in the headlight bucket so I'm trying to record what's there, but I do eventually have to take apart my template (i.e., the original) in order to install the new.

I'm looking for a way to check that I'm putting the right wire into the right pin in the headlamp. I think the connections on the bike are pretty clear (the brakes switches, the tail lights, the coils, etc...) but inside the headlight bucket is a rat's nest and clearly messed with long before I got there and did more damage. I can test conductivity back through the wire so I know which one I'm addressing. But I don't know how the Connection Block works or if it's really the right circuit. (...let's see, red wire from the starter relay goes to #30 on the Block, then the ignition, then the light relay...)

I only partly did this once on an R75/5 and plugging and un-plugging the wire/pins seemed a bit too stupid an approach. Any process for confirming the correct connection in the headlight?

thanks!

There are other wiring diagrams shown in the Wiring Diagram section of the link in my signature line. Probably best to compare different diagrams to get a consensus picture of what goes where.

if you are a member of the Airheads (www.airheads.com) you could hold a tech day at your house to get some help. MA has a number of electrically qualified members in the eastern Mass area. If you don't want to do a tech day, I am sure you would at least get some help. It's part of what the Airheads are all about.

Friedle

I have never liked place mats. My wife always tells me I need a place mat. You have suggested a perfect place mat that will make me and my wife happy. I am going to see if I can make a wiring diagram place mat for my R60/5. It will be a great Airhead winter project now that the bike is off the road for the winter.
I am serious about this and not joking.
Thanks for the great suggestion.
Adirondack Bob

You may also find this illustration useful. It shows the corresponding connections to the Mölzner contact plate in the headlight bucket. This is for my 1975 R90/6.

The corresponding numbers appear on the circuit diagram previously linked in this thread. 'Spare' is the holder location for a spare fuse.

IMG_8472.jpg

'LKK' is the location of the diode which is on the other side of the board.

Harness

Hi Piehman
Sorry to hear about your wiring. Last winter I refinished a set of Wixom Bags and put them on a 72 toaster. I have a saying "learn from the mistakes of others, because you won't live long enough to make all the mistakes yourself." So Could you tell me what happened with your lights/wiring so I don't do the same thing. I have not hooked up my lights yet because a little voice in my head said "wait and ask for help". My lights are single not double so I would use them as running lights only. My question is how do I hook up the bag lights and have them act as running lights ( with out frying anything).
Thanks
Brian

Back