• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R80RT side stand

M

Manfred

Just in case religion wasn't keeping you busy, I intend to study the left side of my bike this weekend and see if there's a way to move the stock side stand back, perhaps need to lengthen it.

:whistle

BTW - Advice on this site to put the bike in 1dt gear while it's on the side stand (parking brake) is one of the BEST tips I've ever seen! In all my years nobody has suggested this and it makes so much sense!

Now I find myself pushing the starter button and having near panic because NOTHING happens - then I remember to pull in the clutch and I'm off. :)

Last edited:
Just in case religion wasn't keeping you busy, I intend to study the left side of my bike this weekend and see if there's a way to move the stock side stand back, perhaps need to lengthen it.

If your bike seems to lean over too much on the SS, you might have a worn out SS bolt/bushing. It's easily replaced and lubed after the exhaust pipe is removed.:banghead

Makes quite a difference in how much easier it is to put the bike on the side stand.

I think it was the same engineer who placed the side stand so far forward under the left cylinder, who designed it so you had to remove the engine in order to do maintenance on it. Such as replace the worn out bushings. :banghead :banghead :banghead

I don't think it leans over too far in it's stock location - but I will look at that bushing. My thinking is - looking at the frame - that it's not long enough if it were mounted further back and a bit higher - where a bolt is.

Recently I installed a Surefoot sidestand from Moto-Bins. Nice big foot, unlike a Brown. Plus, it's adjustable. A bit of a hassle sending in the left footrest. But, it was worth it. And, at the current exchange rate the cost was roughly equal to the Browns unit.

Back