• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R75/5 Engine Rebuild - Timing Chain Master Link

Does anyone have a trick way to assemble a new cam chain master link? There's not enough slack in the chain to preassemble it, and not even enough room to insert the new master link from below. I've assembled most of it from the top, no problem, but it looks like I have to stick the bottom segment on with some grease and try to sneak in the circlips at the bottom. Ughh!

Does anyone have a slicker way to do it?

I've seen this discussion over the years...I haven't retained much of it since I'm not there yet. But Matt Parkhouse seems to cover timing chains pretty thoroughly in the August 2015 Owners News. It doesn't look like he has any gee whiz bang method, other than using some grease, pliers, stuffed rags, etc.

You can find archived issues of the Owners News on the main MOA website under Owners News then navigate to the archives.

Another possibility is to find Brook Reams websites and look through all his bike builds. Timing chains are the same no matter the year of the Airhead.

https://brook.reams.me/

Adding a bit more to the title.

Fish clip

Does anyone have a trick way to assemble a new cam chain master link? There's not enough slack in the chain to preassemble it, and not even enough room to insert the new master link from below. I've assembled most of it from the top, no problem, but it looks like I have to stick the bottom segment on with some grease and try to sneak in the circlips at the bottom. Ughh!

Does anyone have a slicker way to do it?

I cringed a little when I read circlips (plural). I recently replaced the chain on my '78 R80/7 and it arrived with the dreaded tiny twin clips. I was terrified that I would launch one into the engine where major mayhem would ensue. I went to my local dealer and ordered a new master link that came with the more trouble free fish clip. They only had a master link for a '79-on single row chain bike but I only needed the clip, which is compatible with your dual row chain. I assembled the link from the side as there is a void to allow its insertion. I now have a couple of spares in case one of my Airhead buddies encounters the same problem. They are only $6 each. HTH.

Russ '75 R90/6 '78 R80/7 '78 R100RS

Last edited:
I just installed one on a /5 last winter. Get the kit from Boxer 2Valve with the two individual circlips. Once positioned at 8 o-clock, use a magnetic screwdriver to install each one.

Timing Chain Master Link

Thanks for the good advice. After a number of struggles, I got them on, but in place, they were a little loose. I don't trust them, so I've ordered a link with the fish clip.

Timing Chain Master Link Fish Clip

Yet another master link arrived, this time with a single "fish clip." Not only was it easier to install on the underside of the chain, but it also snapped in place with a reassuring click, and seemed tight.

Just remember -- everyone says the closed end of the fish clip should point in the direction of rotation, and both the cam and crank pulleys go clockwise.

Last edited:
Back