• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R18 and R18 /2

Seems that's the consensus with others too, every year they've gotten better for the last several years. I've toyed with owning one, I wonder what years were best of the last 5 if any?

Yours manu dates? Any particular years to dismiss as possible purchases?

I’d stick with 2014 or newer; mine is a 2018. Annie’s is a 2019 and they made some big changes:

CYLINDERS
Precision honing for consistent sealing of rings at high temperatures.
Improved surface preparation for cylinder bore reducing break-in time and increasing oil retention for longer cylinder life.
Cooling fins increased in surface area by 20% for improved cooling efficiency.

CYLINDER HEADS
Cooling fins increased in surface area by 18% for improved cooling efficiency.
Exhaust port reduced in length for decreased cylinder head temperature.
Optimized intake and exhaust ports geometry for improved flow.
Redesigned cylinder head covers with improved sealing.

PISTONS
Gravity cast from NASA 388 provides superior heat resistance compared to forged pistons.
Teflon inlaid skirt for reduced friction.
Hard anodized crown and top ring groove for increased high-temp longevity.
Manganese Phosphate coated compression rings.
Top ring face inlaid with high-tech plasma-sprayed Molybdenum, offering increased durability.
Phosphate-coated piston pin.

OIL CIRCULATION SYSTEM
Improved oil pick-up design.
Oil sump redesigned to maximize oil capacity without sacrificing ground clearance. Oil capacity increased to 2.6L.

FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM
All new EFI system utilizing Keihin throttle bodies.
Electronic idle speed control (EIS) improves starting and idle.
Throttle position sensor (TPS) for improved throttle response.
Fuel injector location has been optimized to spray directly at the intake valves for increased efficiency.
Closed-loop EFI system with increased resolution for better fuel efficiency.
System fuel pressure increased for improved fuel atomization.
New self-priming, in-tank fuel pump with integrated filter and pressure relief.
High-efficiency catalysts for reduced pollution without sacrificing power.

WHEELS
All three wheels (including the spare) now utilize the same hub and are fully interchangeable. The rims are now supplied by a new vendor are made from improved aluminum alloy with superior strength and finish.

From Snowbum’s website, near the bottom of the article:

With stock pan:

Without oil coolers, up to 1980: 2.25 liters.
With oil coolers to 1980: 2.50 liters.
From 1981 through end of production in 1995, without cooler: 2.50 liters.
From 1981 through end of production in 1995, with cooler: 2.75 liters.
R80GS to 1990: 2.25 liters.
GS from 1991: 2.50 liters.

When the brick-k bikes were released, having nearly 4L of oil on hand for an oil and filter change seemed like a lot of oil...

Best,
DeVern

My 2018 Ural took 2 quarts of oil with a filter change. I put a deeper oil pan on it so it now takes 3 quarts.

That’s a mismatch of equipment and purpose, in my book. Ural sidecar rigs are fun and make a great deal of sense for fire-roading and backcountry exploration. As an over-the-road or RTW rig—not so much. Shopping the established sidecar sites and used bike portals shows that $16k-$18k could get one a decent used GS sidecar rig with more power and better reliability. And if one is insistent on simple and easily repaired hardware, $16k would be more than enough to pick up a good used airhead GS and mount an off-road style sidecar. I wish her all the luck and success in the world as she continues her journeys, but I fear the day will come when her favorite view of the Ural is from the back, watching a new owner putt slowly down the road.

And, my apologies for contributing to the thread drift that has set in here...

Best,
DeVern

Last edited:
The important advantage to the Ural over the GS with a sidecar is two-wheeldrive. Very valuable here in the desert.

I like it better than the R18.
Never thought I'd see the day where BMW was able to design a decent looking cruiser.
It's not for me but I bet the 18/2 will sell well.

Personally, I prefer the R18. The clean retro look actually had me thinking about adding one. The /2 is attractive but modern and has none of the retro appeal for me so I'll pass on it, it looks quite mainstream actually.

That's why there are so many motorcycles in the world, we each have our own preferences, it keeps the world interesting!

The important advantage to the Ural over the GS with a sidecar is two-wheeldrive. Very valuable here in the desert.

Also, it is difficult to fall down, easy to stop and not worry that it will tip over and having reverse is a big plus. All good things and 2 wheel drive is great in mud, snow, sand and deep gravel. Running around town doing errands is also much easier with a third wheel. Even better yet... it is fun to ride. It is not a replacement for my GSA, but it is a great addition.

Without any accessories the fully loaded bike costs over $22,000 plus shipping.

Back