• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1200RT Recall

saddlebag latch

Had same trouble with my '09 saddle bag latch. Push the button and was very stiff to open. Key helped put more pressure on it. Took it apart (whole bunch of screws!!!) and found barrel / angled slot type mechanism. Sorry no pics. Had some white grease at work that was rated good for plastic. Dow Molykote HP-870. Bike sits outside in the rain when parked at work. Has worked great now for almost a year. :thumb

Had same trouble with my '09 saddle bag latch. Push the button and was very stiff to open. Key helped put more pressure on it. Took it apart (whole bunch of screws!!!) and found barrel / angled slot type mechanism. Sorry no pics. Had some white grease at work that was rated good for plastic. Dow Molykote HP-870. Bike sits outside in the rain when parked at work. Has worked great now for almost a year. :thumb
I thoroughly lubricated my side cases with TRI-FLOW. It"s in a spray can. I sprayed the button, latch and anything else that moves. I have had no more problems for a year.

Dealer recommendation

Rather than try and fix the problem yourselves why not take advantage of the service campaign?

BMW has recognized a design flaw and are replacing the lock mechanisms for free.

Am I missing something here (given all the special opening procedures and lubes described in this post)?

Tom

This recall is not limited to the RTs. My '09 K13GT case locks were just replaced under a recall, even though I hadn't had a problem with them. Same type locks and bags as the RT, though...

So let me get this right. 20K for a bike with cases and you have to mickey mouse around with a three step process to get the case to open????????????

:dance

I remember when I worried about the paint on my bags! Stickers now cure me from the worry, thanks to all the drops and kicks.

Someday I will probably re-paint them though, or maybe just chrome them!

I'm so glad someone else's bags are as scratched as mine. And if my bags had experienced this problem, I'm sure the dealer would have told me it was due to them supporting the weight of the bike! :doh

My bike is way late for the 12K service....so we'll see what they say about the bags.

Recall range

I'm so glad someone else's bags are as scratched as mine. And if my bags had experienced this problem, I'm sure the dealer would have told me it was due to them supporting the weight of the bike! :doh

My bike is way late for the 12K service....so we'll see what they say about the bags.

So do we have a recall range ? years, Vin#s affected? Mine have always required Houdini style opening procedures at times. Would be nice if the 2008 RT's have been included in the recall?
regards
paul:ear

I just emailed bmwmotorrad tech services with the pertinent question: Is there a recall or a warranty fix for my 2006RT side case lock / latch mechanisms?

I'll post any answers I may get.

Back