• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1200RT Recall

iambob

It's a somewhat silly recall, but anyone that has one can probably empathize with my situation.

After buying the bike I was on the road, probably 300 miles from home, when i stopped for lunch. I put my helmet and other assorted items in the two side cases, and enjoyed a leisurely lunch.

I come back out to head home and the box where I put the helmet would NOT open. I even called the dealership, as I was STUCK on the side of the road with no way to get to my helmet to ride home.

After about an hour, and luckily NOT breaking the box I got into the box and rode home.

This has happened several times where the latches just would not release no matter how hard I pushed down on the keyhole/button. When returning from NC I was trying to open the box off the bike to get to my laundry, and in the process broke the tab off of the back of the box.. LUCKILY I was home already. (I now have spare 'L' shaped latches stashed on the bike.

So I take the bike in for my 6000 mile service and, as a good customer should, I left the luggage at home.. and the first thing they say is "OH, you don't have your sidecases?" "Yeah, they've been recalled, and we could have fixed them while you are here".

So now I have to go back and get the sidecase recall resolved.. and get the seat brackets replaced to my seat doesn't keep "failing".

I have read on a bike review that the difficulty in opening is caused by air pressure because the side cases seal so well. They were told to drill a small hole in the bottom of each case to relieve the pressure. When they finally got them to open they said they could hear a hissing sound like air rushing in. Don't know if this relates to the problem or not. Maybe someone else has heard of this situation. I believe the road test was in Rider Magazine. It was a test between the RT and a Guzzi Norge.

I have read on a bike review that the difficulty in opening is caused by air pressure because the side cases seal so well. They were told to drill a small hole in the bottom of each case to relieve the pressure. When they finally got them to open they said they could hear a hissing sound like air rushing in. Don't know if this relates to the problem or not. Maybe someone else has heard of this situation. I believe the road test was in Rider Magazine. It was a test between the RT and a Guzzi Norge.

Not the same issue. Mine was the latch wouldn't pop so you could even try to open it. You push down on the keyhole/ button as hard as you can almost pushing it through the box, and the latch would not pop up so you could actually try to open the box.

If you don't have the sidecase you probably have no idea what I'm talking about, but if you do, you will.

side cases

I have had this problem several times. What has worked for me is to insert the key into the lock and push down with the key while simultaneously pushing down on the latch and pressing my thigh against the side of the case to compress it a bit.

If that stops working, I'll try swinging a cat around my head a few times while chanting.:banghead

I have had this problem several times. What has worked for me is to insert the key into the lock and push down with the key while simultaneously pushing down on the latch and pressing my thigh against the side of the case to compress it a bit.

If that stops working, I'll try swinging a cat around my head a few times while chanting.:banghead

That's the problem EXACTLY!! You may want to call and get your latches replaced!

FOund out the hardway do NOT try to open the case when it's not on the bike.. little parts on the back tend to break.

Ditto!

:thumb

You are experiencing an over-filled case. Excess pressure on the lid causes the lock mechanism to resist your key-turn and downward pressure. I little pressure against the outer lid, and my cases open. Try the lock/case w/ nothing in the case and see if it work, that'll clarify the problem.

Len

I had the same problem, and solved it the same way while I owned the bike. :banghead Ultimately, I solved it a different way!:stick:D

FOund out the hardway do NOT try to open the case when it's not on the bike.. little parts on the back tend to break.

Huuuuh??? My cases go with me into the motel room and I open and close them off the bike all the time. If there some issue or exposed part I need to avoid? Never had an issue of them not opening and closing with ease.

Stuck side cases

Mine sticks on the 09. I found that when I apply a little pressure to the side of the case while closing it the problem does not occur.

Once stuck I found that inserting the key in the lock and pushing eventually opened the case.

I lubed all the parts I could see but that didn't help.

I haven't had the problem recur some time but I always apply a little pressure when closing the cases.

Karl

It might be easier to leave cases on the bike where it is easier to open and use the saddlebag liners to carry into motels, etc. I bought the $50 ones from "Bestem" ( out of Georgia). Also the painted sides of the saddlebags don't tend to get banged up since they are not removed and loose from the bike.

It might be easier to leave cases on the bike where it is easier to open and use the saddlebag liners to carry into motels, etc. I bought the $50 ones from "Bestem" ( out of Georgia). Also the painted sides of the saddlebags don't tend to get banged up since they are not removed and loose from the bike.

I remember when I worried about the paint on my bags! Stickers now cure me from the worry, thanks to all the drops and kicks.

Someday I will probably re-paint them though, or maybe just chrome them!

My salesman at Bob's showed me a good technique. Before trying to push down the lock cylinder/button, put some downward pressure on the black flap that pops up when the latch releases. ie. before the flap pops up, push it down then push in the lock button. Clear as mud? :huh

My salesman at Bob's showed me a good technique. Before trying to push down the lock cylinder/button, put some downward pressure on the black flap that pops up when the latch releases. ie. before the flap pops up, push it down then push in the lock button. Clear as mud? :huh

Exactly.

1. Press up against side case with your leg.
2. Press down on case latch.
3. While doing 1 & 2 above, press down on release and pull latch fully open.

Seems to make it easier to open by taking pressure off the latch mechanism and keeps it from popping open especially, if its "well" packed.

Huuuuh??? My cases go with me into the motel room and I open and close them off the bike all the time. If there some issue or exposed part I need to avoid? Never had an issue of them not opening and closing with ease.

My case was stuck shut, as it is more than 50% of the time.. and had it on the floor.. I leaned on it to put some pressure on the lid while I pushed the release button in and "SNAP" the little tongue of plastic on the mechanism that holds the bag onto the bike broke.

it's a little "L" shaped bit, and apparenty this isn't anything new as the dealers have these pieces in stock.

It's not a part of the mechanism and it's not even glued into place, the new one just slipped over the top of the arm and snapped into place.

side cases

Maybe I'm smokin' a different flavor :ha butt I have always had trouble ONLY with the left case and only after I have stopped riding long enough to fill up with gas or get a motel room... hint... heat from the exhaust has seemed to be the issue. I remember getting home, pulling into the garage, fiddling around, then trying to open the L case. Wouldn't budge. Hours later I returned to the garage and it popped open just like it should have.

I think the issue is heat from the exahaust pipe that sits right under the case. YMMV.

Maybe I'm smokin' a different flavor :ha butt I have always had trouble ONLY with the left case and only after I have stopped riding long enough to fill up with gas or get a motel room... hint... heat from the exhaust has seemed to be the issue. I remember getting home, pulling into the garage, fiddling around, then trying to open the L case. Wouldn't budge. Hours later I returned to the garage and it popped open just like it should have.

I think the issue is heat from the exahaust pipe that sits right under the case. YMMV.

Problem is, I always had the most difficulty with the right case. I think it's a design flaw, as the OP opined, and the BMW recall seems to support that. I was always able to coax mine open, but sometimes it was a PITA.

Warranty Claim Info

I brought my sidebags into my NJ dealer today and they replaced the lock mechanisms part 46547720291 and 2 under warranty on my '09 RT. The campaign is referred to replace saddlebag locks (warranty claim number 21617) and took approx 25 minutes to complete.

Call your dealer and they'll run your vin.

Tom

Back