• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1200RS RPM Question

BC1100S

Left Coast Rider
I am currently looking at a low mileage 2016 model of this bike to purchase. Can anyone in this assembled multitude tell me what rpm the R1200RS turns in 6th gear at 60 MPH or 100 km/h? 75 mph or 120 km/h?

Thanks in advance!

At 120kph, RPM in 6th gear is about 4300. In contrast my R1150RS spun at 4000 at 120kph. Speed measured by GPS, not on the %5 optimistic speedometer. Unfortunately I just can't recall the RPM at 100kph, but it is under 4000. I was out for a ride today and could have checked, but only saw the question this evening. In spite of it revving higher than my old 1150RS, it gets better mileage, and goes further on the smaller tank. 4.8L per 100km, vs 5.0 per 100km.

If you have the option, pick up an RS in Lupin Blue. They are known to be the fastest of all the RS's.

Have you reached the age where riding a RS over an S is “age appropriate “?
:rofl

I was hoping that no one would notice my transition to the dark side. :blush

In order to rationalize my decision, I am telling myself that the new RS is simply an evolution of the greatly missed, much better looking and much faster S. :laugh

I was hoping that no one would notice my transition to the dark side. :blush

In order to rationalize my decision, I am telling myself that the new RS is simply an evolution of the greatly missed, much better looking and much faster S. :laugh

That works :lol

Wondering the questions about RPM ? Any concerns?

3,800 at 60 mph gps speed.
4,300 at 75 mph
Tried it today on my '17 RS.
GPS 60 mph= 33/3400 rpm
70 mph= 39/4000 rpm
80 mph= 46/4700 rpm
I used the option 1 tachometer screen on the 1200RS.
Although i tried to hold it at the specified mph, the tach display would intermittently jump from one number to the other.
I have about half worn Michelin Road 5 tires.

Frank

Tried it today on my '17 RS.
GPS 60 mph= 33/3400 rpm
70 mph= 39/4000 rpm
80 mph= 46/4700 rpm
I used the option 1 tachometer screen on the 1200RS.
Although i tried to hold it at the specified mph, the tach display would intermittently jump from one number to the other.
I have about half worn Michelin Road 5 tires.

Frank

Thanks for that info, sir. :thumb

Back