• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

r1200r exhaust

J

johnr118

Any suggestions for best aftermarket performance exhaust for an '07 R1200R ?

jb:

If you damaged your OEM exhaust, be aware that like-new OEM take-off exhausts are easy to come by and cheap from various sources and eBay.

Fred

I'm happy with the Akrapovic Titanium exhaust... with the baffles left in. I don't think it makes any more HP, but it sure weighs a fraction of the OEM can.

316295591_HEdKE-XL.jpg

I have the same question regarding an after-market replacement slip-on for my oem R1200R stock system. I would like a throatier sound, but not the loud, puttering sound that I've heard out of others like my brother in law's R1150RT that has the Two-Brothers slip-on (no offense to those who have them, I just don't want that sound). I'm hoping for a muffler that results in the more subtle lower toned output.
Can anyone with either the Remus, Ztechnik or other slip-on on their R1200 comment or recommend any of the available slip-ons that would give that nice low, throaty rumble that a 1200cc twin is capable of putting out? :confused
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Curt

My Stayintune slip on has a nice deep mellow sound with the baffle in. Remove the baffle and it is still deep and mellow but a lot louder.

I've got the Ztechnik on my RT, love the sound it makes. That said, I've got the full system, although the can is the same if you just want to go with the slip on. Leaving the factory CAT in place is going to dampen the sound somewhat regardless of which slip on you decide to go with, so you wouldn't necssarily get a big increase in exhaust note.

The Ztechnik gives the RT a nice throaty growl between 3000 and 4000 rpm, it's not too much louder than stock at low rpm with the DB killer installed, and it definitely does not have the harsh edge that some of the other systems I've heard produce. Crank the throttle and it produces a nice roar in the upper ranges, remove the DB killer and it positively barks at all rpms, I rode it once that way just to see the difference. DB killer installed is just right IMO, and the Ztechnik can be had at a fraction of the price of most of the others out there.

Can't speak to long term durability as I've only had it on the RT for half a season, but I haven't had any problems with fit, finish, or functionality so far.

I'm happy with the Akrapovic Titanium exhaust... with the baffles left in. I don't think it makes any more HP, but it sure weighs a fraction of the OEM can.

316295591_HEdKE-XL.jpg

Pardon the Hijack - awesome bike, were those wheels standard with the bike or did you have them painted?

Decided to try the Ztechnik whole European exhaust system. Should get it next week and will post my thoughts afterward. Thanks to all for the helpful info and pics. That black beauty is a something and those white wheels look really cool on that black model. I think the stainless would look best with my Granite Gray model, though. Ride safe.

Well, I got the Ztechnik system on. Not too bad of a process. I did have to spend a considerable amout of time sanding and buffing the header pipes as the finish on the header pipes out of the box was pretty pitted and scratched.
Now I'm wondering how to remove the DB reducer just to see what it sounds like without it.
RTRyder, there are no instructions included as to how to remove the DB killer, can you tell me how you did it? Don't see any screws or fasteners. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your input BTW, got it a really good price and looks and sounds a lot better than the stock system.
Curt

Last edited:
Back