• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1150 RTP Fuel issue

LuckyGrownup

Can someone check my work here ? I am trying to figure out how fuel lines are supposed to be configured just incase one of my lines got plugged in the wrong way.
It appears the high pressure output is on the front highest point on the RT tank while the high pressure input to the fuel regulator is the lowest point on the regulator feeds.

r1150_tank_fuel_line_route2.jpg fuel_regulator.jpg

Possibly Critial information: The last day I rode the bike I rode it 15 miles on reserve. The air temperature was about 20F. I put 2 gallons of gas in it after riding for 15 miles on reserve. The bike sat for a week and a half.
The fuel strip works and displays 2 bars.

Millage: 88K-89K
Year: 2002
Model: R1150 RTP

The long winded Back story:
Last year, I replaced the motor on my R1150 with an ebay motor. I have 5000 miles on the ebay motor. I recall having an issue with the suspension when I put it on. I messed up the front shock. I thought I could turn the rings on the bottom of the front shock to make the shock smaller. It didn't get smaller but I eventually got it on. Well recently, I had fork leak so I took the old R1150 to a Sport bike supension guy. He rebuilt my front shock and while it was there I had my Ohlin shocks rebuilt. After the suspension guy buttoned everything, up the bike wouldn't start. Since the guy didn't specialize in BMW bikes, I didn't get upset. I just had AMA tow the bike home. I was told the bike would start on starter fluid, but the suspenion guy thought the injectors were not firing. I removed the tank. I checked wires. The electrical stuff looks good. A 9v battery will cause both injectors to click, but they are not fuel getting since I started messing with things. I hear the fuel pump prime upon turning on the key. And if I pull the fuse for it, it stops. But either way, I have no fuel pressure. I even doulbe checked the fuel lines to make sure they were not put on backwards. Anyways I have 0 PSI in every way I plug the fuel pressure gauge. So, I ordered an aftermarket fuel pump from beemer boneyard. The stock fuel pump is twice the price. My fuel pump seems to make a spinning noise. The battery is over 2 years old.

It sounds to me like someone ran the pump with one of the hose QDs disconnected. That resulted in an internal line rupturing or a hose being blown off inside the tank.

On the fuel distributor, the lower line is the high pressure line. The QDs are keyed so that they can't be attached incorrectly. You've described things correctly.

Thanks. I still have 0 PSI on my high pressure fuel feed when I check the pressure. So, since I replaced the fuel lines. I checked fuses. I heard some odd noises from the tank a few months ago. I am guessing my fuel pump went up.

Can riding 18 miles to a shop in the cold on reserve increase the odds my fuel pump will fail when the old one has over 40K of millage on it ?

Thanks. I still have 0 PSI on my high pressure fuel feed when I check the pressure. So, since I replaced the fuel lines. I checked fuses. I heard some odd noises from the tank a few months ago. I am guessing my fuel pump went up.

Can riding 18 miles to a shop in the cold on reserve increase the odds my fuel pump will fail when the old one has over 40K of millage on it ?

I think Roger hit the nail squarely with the notion that a hose inside the tank has slipped off or split. I doubt that riding 18 miles in cold weather ruined the fuel pump.

To check pump activation disconnect the pressure line at the quick disconnect. Then either remove the QD from the hose or get an extra mating QD and hook it up with a short hose attached. Aim the hose into a large container and turn the key on. Cycle the kill switch a time or two. You shouyld get a strong stream of fuel when the pump runs. If not, the problem is upstream in the tank.

DO NOT try to measure pressure at this location. It would be unregulated pressure, probably in excess of 125 psi. The one time I tried it I saw the needle peg at 125 psi just before the gauge shot out of the hose, across the room, against the wall, where it fell to the floor with a shattered glass. It was exciting for a moment or two.

DO NOT try to measure pressure at this location. It would be unregulated pressure, probably in excess of 125 psi. The one time I tried it I saw the needle peg at 125 psi just before the gauge shot out of the hose, across the room, against the wall, where it fell to the floor with a shattered glass. It was exciting for a moment or two.

It's amazing how much pressure that little pump will make when dead ended. :jawdrop

Back