• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1100S Boxer Color questions

K

KLENNOP

Hello,

I am wondering what color combinations the R1100S Boxer Cup replicas came in. I know that there is the Red, White and Blue. However is there just a blue and white one also and then is the grey and mandarin one a boxer cup rep too?

I have been looking around and debating between a new F800S or a used R1100S for my first bike, however some ads I have seen are very misleading. I searched the net and some of the sites I found aren't really clear on the colors for the Boxer Cup Replicas.

Any pictures or help would be great.

Thanks!!

Hello,

I am wondering what color combinations the R1100S Boxer Cup replicas came in. I know that there is the Red, White and Blue. However is there just a blue and white one also and then is the grey and mandarin one a boxer cup rep too?

I have been looking around and debating between a new F800S or a used R1100S for my first bike, however some ads I have seen are very misleading. I searched the net and some of the sites I found aren't really clear on the colors for the Boxer Cup Replicas.

Any pictures or help would be great.

Thanks!!

blue and white:

bmw-600x450-1.jpg

red white and blue:

boxercup_replica_2004_1.jpg

grey and mandrin was a standard S:

116157.jpg

Was gray/mandarin available as a Boxer Cup "prep" model?

See that is what I am getting confused about? I see some grey/mandarin ones for sale that say Boxer Cup but they also have ABS, so how are you supposed to tell if it is a normal one or the Boxer Cup. I understand that they did have some Boxer Cup Preps with ABS and some without, but how can you tell the difference by looking at them?

I guess what also is the difference between the full Boxer Cup bikes and the Boxer Cup "prep"?

None of them came with the heated grips though, correct?

Thanks for the help?

The Idea behind the Boxer Cup Prep was to have more of a bike ready to take straight to the track that wasn't as expensive as the Replika. An original Prep did away with the "luxuries" of the other bikes. The Prep didn't come with heated grips, ABS, saddle bags, or some other things that were available back then to R1100S / RS models. The Replika didn't come with saddle bags, but had every thing else. The Replika also had the lower fairing. The Prep did not.

The main advantage of the prep was that it cost a little less and you were able to get the adjustable sport suspension (front and rear with yellow spring in the rear) and the wider rear tire. It also had a little higher clearance for cornering. Plus, if you were lucky, some dealers installed a stering dampner on them, too. Also the engine on the Prep was supposed to be more "sporty". The Prep also was the only one suppose to be in the mandarin yellow and titanium colors, with the wheels painted mandarin yellow, too.

Where it gets difficult over the years to tell them apart, is that people would buy the Prep and then add all the other things back to it.

I hope this helps. I'm sure there might be some other differances, but these were the main ones I could think of.

Brian

That does help a little bit.

See I am looking into a 2004 Mandarin Orange and titanium color bike but it has heated grips and abs. However there is not a yellow spring in the rear and the back tire on it is a 170/60.

Where can you adjust the suspension in the front and rear, is there a knob or something, if so where is it located. I want to see if it is visable in the pictures that I revievec from the owner.

Thanks again for the help!

The front shock is adjusted by a knob that is forward of the gascap. The rear has two adjustments 1) preload and 2) rebound. The knob for the preload is on the right hand side of the bike just below the bodywork and just behind the frame. The rebound is adjusted with a screwdriver and it accessed from the opposite side of the bike with the adjuster being at the bottom of the shock.

There are only two Boxer Cup Replika paint schemes for the United States. The two US designs are the Randy Mamola signature which is blue and white and the red white and blue on the newer Cup with the wording "Boxer Cup" on the side of the fairing. There is also a replika for the UK with it's own paint scheme that includes the Union Jack on the bellypan.

I have a 2003 BCR, and also have access to the owners manuals and specs for a 2002 Prep and a 2004 S with ABS that belong to friends. I can check on just about any specifications for you if it is important.

The major visual differences are the Boxer Cup and Prep have the 5.5 inch wider rear wheel, the "sport" suspension which includes shocks and a shorter torque arm, and bars that are mounted below the top clamp. The 1100S has the bars high mounted above the top clamp. All of them have the same suspension adjustments.

So you are either looking at a 1100S or a Prep and you should be able to tell which it is by the mounting of the handle bars. Additionally you can tell from a picture if the bike is equiped with ABS. If it has ABS there is a ring for the sensor this is of slightly smaller diameter than the brake rotor mounted inside the left front rotor, it would be visible in most side shots of the bike.

The major visual differences are the Boxer Cup and Prep have the 5.5 inch wider rear wheel, the "sport" suspension which includes shocks and a shorter torque arm, and bars that are mounted below the top clamp. The 1100S has the bars high mounted above the top clamp.

not to get "nerdy" here, but my 99 "standard" S has low bars, not all of the regular models have high bars.

i also think you have the longest name of anyone on the forum:laugh

I have the model line poster for US 2004. If I'm reading this correctly, here are the differences:

Electrical charging system:
R1100S 600 watt
Replika and Prep 700 watt

6th gear ratio:
S and Prep 0.80:1
Replika 0.70:1

ABS:
S EVO and partial integral ABS
Replika and Prep, optional

Front brake:
S one floating rotor
Replika and Prep dual floating rotors
(That should be easy to see in a good photo)

Rear wheel & tire:
S 5.00 x 17 & 170/60
Replika and Prep 5.50 x 17 & 180/55

Colors:
S Piedmont Red Metallic, Pacific Blue Metallic, Titan Silver Metallic

S and Prep Titan Gray/Mandarin Metallic

Replika Pacific Blue/Alpine White

Hope that helps.

I wouldn't mind selling my 05 BCR (The Red White & Blue one)

1,877 miles, 100% stock, never in the rain, perfect. Adult owned.

600 mile service completed at BMW dealer.

FYI none of the 05s had ABS, it eas not an option on the 05 BCR.

$10,500. Possible partial delivery.

It is a very cool bike that will become very collectable, It just does not make sense to have a sport bike where I live so it needs a good home.

DSCN0390.jpg

Thanks for all the help in trying to explain all this to me.

The bike I was looking at has ABS, Heated Grips, and the bars were higher which made me think it was a normal S. However it does have dual rotors in the front. So maybe it is just a odd duck??

Also look at the picture in this ad. It is a boxer cup with heated grips and abs. So that would tell me that some boxer cups came with heated grips and also ABS?
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/imagecatalogue/imageview/5312/?RefererURL=/trade/productview/916/649/

SCQTT where are you located?

Is it hard to add heated grips to a bike that doesn't have them?

Last edited:
Boxer Cup or F800S

Hi klennop.

I just got my first BWM--a 2003 Boxer Cup with less than 4-thou miles on it. It's my 21st bike and I absolutely love it so far. I don't need Ninjas, GSX-Rs, 'Busas, etc., etc. I wanted something with character and charm, but still sporty. The BC was just the ticket for me.

If you are looking for your first bike though, you might be a little happer with a bike like the F800. Probably a little friendlier to ride (maneuverable) for a first bike. Then again, if you want to go some distances a larger bike with some wind protection would be better (then, maybe neither bike may be the one for you).

Anyway, I really love my boxer cup.

Oh yea, it's the blue and white one. Really sharp!

Tim

Back