• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1100GS Oil Leak...right side near Telelever Pivot?

isaac004

So I bought a 1996 R1100GS this past summer from a great BMW owner who followed all the maintenance schedules to dot, including replacing the OEM brake lines every few years. The bike now has around 68k miles, having just completed a 1k mile weekend a few weeks ago.

On that ride last week, I noticed a small oil leak. Note that the last 3 times I rode this bike were in July '14 (twice) and early Dec '14 (once), which were just 2 hour long rides. This 1k mile ride last week was a long run in 20-40 degree F weather. Oil is BMW 20w50. The oil was weeping down the right side of the case, both in front and behind the jug. It was just enough to get a small mist on my book, but not enough to notice a drop in the sight glass. Over 1k miles, it dropped the oil level around 1mm, from just above the dot to on the dot. This drop sounds normal enough for this engine without any leaks.

Last week, I replaced the breather hose (thinking it could have been weeping from there due to a tiny crack in the hose), put it back together, cleaned it up real pretty, and then took it on a 40 mile ride. At 20 miles, I could see fresh oil leaking out again. After a close inspection, the only place I can see this oil coming from is the underside of the telelever pivot on the right side, as seen here:
u1lGSZV.jpg

Note that while the oil here on the pivot is freshly wet and dirty looking, where it runs down the case and front side of the cylinder, it looks super clean and fresh, like virgin oil straight out of the bottle. The oil in the engine has a few thousand miles and is darker, as evident from the sight glass. Why is this oil so fresh and clean looking? If there even a way for engine oil to leak out of the telelever pivot? I find it hard to see how that could be. There is some wet fresh oil behind that plastic cap. Only other thing I can think is if the telelever bearing is spilling its greasy guts out as oil.

The left side looks completely clean in comparison.
jdcGX7Q.jpg

May have just answered my own question. To add, I noticed that when I pulled off that black plastic cap on the end of the pivot on the right side (you can pop it off with a flat blade screwdriver or even your finger), there is some fresh oil inside. This oil looks more like fresh engine oil in color, as opposed to oil that would be the byproduct of bearing grease breaking down.

Anyhow, refer to this schematic:
http://www.ascycles.com/Illustrated...atname=&bindName=Trailing arm&bindCat=31_0336

Notice that Part 2 is an axle that the Telelever is supported on, and that it is a single piece that runs the entire width of the engine/Telelever.
Part 5 is a shaft seal, the inner most part on both sides of the pivot. I suspect that this part on the right side must have failed to allow the oil to leak out like this.

May have just answered my own question. To add, I noticed that when I pulled off that black plastic cap on the end of the pivot on the right side (you can pop it off with a flat blade screwdriver or even your finger), there is some fresh oil inside. This oil looks more like fresh engine oil in color, as opposed to oil that would be the byproduct of bearing grease breaking down.

Anyhow, refer to this schematic:
http://www.ascycles.com/Illustrated...atname=&bindName=Trailing arm&bindCat=31_0336

Notice that Part 2 is an axle that the Telelever is supported on, and that it is a single piece that runs the entire width of the engine/Telelever.
Part 5 is a shaft seal, the inner most part on both sides of the pivot. I suspect that this part on the right side must have failed to allow the oil to leak out like this.

There are 2 greased sealed bearings in each telelever side..
The solid shaft goes thru the whole engine to the other side. It's a sealed passageway that is not in contact with engine oil.
The only way oil could come from there is in the middle where the 2 sides bolt together (unlikely) or a crack in the case half but it's pretty beefy there.

Attachments

• IMGP1093_resize.jpg
    IMGP1093_resize.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 108
Your oil temperature switch, and I think the oil cooler line as well, are just a bit forward and up from the pivot. Any chance the oil is coming from there and making its way back to the pivot point?

leak%2520location.jpg

Your oil temperature switch, and I think the oil cooler line as well, are just a bit forward and up from the pivot. Any chance the oil is coming from there and making its way back to the pivot point?

leak%2520location.jpg

Do you have any other photos? Still hurts when I look at that one. OUCH!

There are 2 greased sealed bearings in each telelever side..
The solid shaft goes thru the whole engine to the other side. It's a sealed passageway that is not in contact with engine oil.
The only way oil could come from there is in the middle where the 2 sides bolt together (unlikely) or a crack in the case half but it's pretty beefy there.
Thanks for the info. Kills that theory, but good info to know.

That is what I originally thought, the oil was coming from this area. Here are a few photos from just before replacing the breather hose. You can see it is dirty, but more of a dry dirt. On the front/back/underneath the cylinder, it is a very wet type of oil and dirty, with even a few drops of oil hanging off. So it tells me the source is not where the dry dirt is.

Oil cooler supply/return (not sure which) and oil sensor (is this pressure or temp) do not appear to be the source.
NypvYXi.jpg

The hose on the left, for the engine breather tube (that connects to the air box) seems like it could be the source. It is dirty here, though more of what used to be oily and is now a tad dry looking. The bottom of the engine on the left side looks more like wet dirtyness.
yNgQvLr.jpg

Since the above photo, I did replace that breather hose, and did a thorough cleaning with Simple Green and a few brushes. The most recent ride from this past weekend shows fresh oil coming from at/under the Telelever pivot. Which is confusing.

I also pulled the inspection plug on the right side that lets you look into the clutch area. Inside there is dry. The only oil on the inspection plug is on the outside. So that tells me the source is not from the rear main bearing or clutch area.

It may be time for some leak detection dye and a black light. Are you friends with any mechanics who might loan you their kit?

Cleaning it all up and spraying it down with spay on deoderant (leaves a white powdery film) will show where the leak is in no time.

Never heard that one before - will have to give it a try some time

I think it was another great idea from Paul Glaves. The bonus here is that once you clean, dry and spray the suspected area, you can just go for a ride and if the leak is of any consequence it shows up quite quickly. Any seepage at all discolours the powder pretty fast and it's obvious.

Back