• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1100 R seat questions...

JackHinrichs

I made my first 200+ mile ride on my new '98 R1100 R today and discovered that the stock seat isnt going to cut it. I have used Corbin seats on other bikes and loved them. What is the consensus for the most comfortable seat on the R1100 R?

Should I try a seat cover before I toss a bunch of money at a new seat? Or is a cover only going to get me another 50 miles or so?

regards

-jack

:drink

i did about 12,000 miles this summer on my stock r1100r seat. i learned to anticipate when the pain would set in and subsequently took breaks every 90 miles. I'd rather drive a full 150 and break at changes, SO... i'll be picking up a russel daylong soon. was just looking at them today, in fact :)

I've gotten used to the seat on my '99 R1100R. I tried an Airhawk, but found I was slipping towards the tank and getting, er, crunched. If you're uncomfortable, a Corbin would be great.

I have a 99 R1100R and had the same problem. I love Corbin seats, had one on my ZX-11 and rode comfortably all day. I didn't want to spend the money so first I bought the seat beads. They helped a lot but didn't quite do the trick so I bought a gel pad that I found on the internet. It was about $110 if I recall correctly and the beads were $35 at Lima from a vendor. This has done the trick for me. I can ride comfortably all day with the usual breaks for gas, coffee, water, bathroom breaks etc. I'm going cross country this summer so I'll see how well it works. I have been comfortable on day long (8 hour trips) but haven't gone day after day.
I have the gel pad on first and then the beads over it. Good luck in your search.

Ed

I have a '99 R1100R. Hadthe same problem. I was able to pick up a used Corbin seat, It did the trick.

All tail ends are different, so what works for others may not work for you.

2000 R1100R here. I also picked up a used Corbin, and found it an improvement over the stock seat. I really like the shape (holds it in there), but for my un-padded tail, is a hard seat. Not a problem for day long rides, but it kills me on multi-day trips. My fix was an Airhawk, awesome device, if positioned and inflated correctly.

I have a Russell Day Long and love it. I rode two different days this last summer for 11 hours each day (half of which was in the rain - both days had 5 hrs. of rain) and not a bit of a problem. I woke up the next morning ready to ride again.

Can't speak about Corbin, but I do love my Russell.

'99 R1100r

I too went to the Corbin. I also use www.alaskaleather.com and am really pleased with both items. I use them together on the longer hauls.

I have a R1150R and the stock seat did not cut it. I bought a Sargent better but not great. Now have a Corbin that was cut lower great seat. If you get the 1150 look for a used corbin, riders are trading 1150s for 1200 and selling the after market seats for cheap.

Corbin's are over rated. and i speak from having used them for over 100,000 miles. go with Rick Mayer- his craftsmanship & build quality are excellent, and he guarantees his work for life. mine is being redone right now, AAMOF.
http://www.homestead.com/prosites-rmcycle/index.html
rmcseat21.jpg

Comfort is in the seat of the sitter. I have had Corbin, Sargent , Stock and Russell.
I would rate-1. Russell 2. Corbin. 3a. Sargent 3b. Stock.
Sheepskin did not buy me a mile.

Soft seat

I got an Allyn air seat manufactured in Woodstock,NY. Bought it from JC Whitney and it is great for trips although I don't use it locally as my rides aren't that long.

Back