• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R100RS Fairing Removal

chwood4

I have a 1981 R100RS and am contemplating removing the fairing,( including front and rear fenders, side panels and seat for painting. Once completed, I intend to remove the wheeels and have them sent out for powder coating after removing the disc brake assembly and having the bearings removed. Although I am reasonably mechanically competent, I'd like to hear of any particular difficult areas involved in the removal of the fairing, or any tips from those who have gone on this path previously.

I also would like to swap out the stock handlebars of the RS for a set that are a bit higher and closer; at age 55 my wrists and shoulders do not enjoy the forward riding positon quite as much. Many thanks.

This is my 9th BMW; I currently have a 1968 R60US and a 1971 600/5 in addition to the RS..over the years I've enjoyed tinkering with the bikes, but this is the largest job attemped.

charleswoodcock said:
I have a 1981 R100RS and am contemplating removing the fairing,( including front and rear fenders, side panels and seat for painting. Once completed, I intend to remove the wheeels and have them sent out for powder coating after removing the disc brake assembly and having the bearings removed. Although I am reasonably mechanically competent, I'd like to hear of any particular difficult areas involved in the removal of the fairing, or any tips from those who have gone on this path previously.

I also would like to swap out the stock handlebars of the RS for a set that are a bit higher and closer; at age 55 my wrists and shoulders do not enjoy the forward riding positon quite as much. Many thanks.

This is my 9th BMW; I currently have a 1968 R60US and a 1971 600/5 in addition to the RS..over the years I've enjoyed tinkering with the bikes, but this is the largest job attemped.

Just a mention of the handle bars. I think I used R100S on my '78 RS. They hit the fairing inside a tiny bit but were more comfy.

If we replaced fairings, I do remember the entire upper fairing was painted at once by BMW. It came in one piece. Then the dash was installed, etc.

When removing the exhaust pipes, the big flower nut can get tight just after you think you loosened it. Stop there and cut it off if that is the case. The threads can become seized. There is usually some thread damage then, but half the threads left are enough. Use lots of antiseize on reinstalling them.

I have seen issues with the powder coating in the bearing area and disk mounting areas. Try to keep that free of paint, etc. Be sure to use mucho heat when removing or replacing the bearings. On reinstalling bearings, cooling them in the freezer just before allows them to drop right in.

That's a nice bike. I rode a '78 for about 8 years. Then went over to the dark side, K100RS. Black of course.

Back