• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R100RS Fairing: Gauge removal

st3ryder

I have a R100RS fairing circa late 70's early 80's, on my '87 K and wonder how I can remove the engine temp and fuel level gauges as I need to replace a bulb. TIA.

K-bike questions belong in K-bike forum.

Fact you own an Airhead is pretty irrelevant to your question, right?

K-bike questions belong in K-bike forum.

Fact you own an Airhead is pretty irrelevant to your question, right?

Kent, I read his post that he has an R100RS fairing on a K bike. At least that part is Airhead?? I've not been around the RS/RT fairings enough to know how to get a gauge out.

Gauges

I'm assuming you have the stock 2 hole dash.......remove windscreen, loosen dash panel, carefully insert hands up into the tight access....disconnect battery first!!!

Removing the headlight assy can give you more room too I believe...I have a 4 hole dash, the gauge access is a real PITA:p

I'm assuming you have the stock 2 hole dash.......remove windscreen, loosen dash panel, carefully insert hands up into the tight access....disconnect battery first!!!

Removing the headlight assy can give you more room too I believe...I have a 4 hole dash, the gauge access is a real PITA:p

Yes, I have a "two hole" dash. I'll take a closer look. I thought maybe the bezels screwed off or something like that. I've had the headlamp out numerous times, and will see if I can remove the outer "shell" assembly. It is tight that's for sure.

Thanks for actually reading my post and seeing it's in the proper forum instead of barking at me like some kind of crazed dog. ;)

The RT/RS gauges have two small thumb screws located on the back of the instrument. Remove the two small thumb screws, remove the bracket, then the instrument should slide out. Oh, and don't forget to remove the wires. Unfortunately, I have no photos, but the online fiche should help you if need be.

I hope this helps.

Hi, st3ryder,
The gauge fits through the hole in the dash and the back of the bezel rests on an "O" ring. There are 2 screws on the back of the gauge. The bracket fits onto these screws and the "legs" are against the back of the dash. As you tighten (by hand) the plastic nuts, the bracket presses against the back of the dash as the gauge presses harder against the "O" ring. It won't come loose unless the plastic nuts are loosened. I don't ever remember them vibrating loose on any of my faired airheads (4 of them with well over 100k miles combined on them).

Back