• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Quick thoughts on Billings rally

I personally have attended 12 consecutive Nationals, and in my opinion, if I subtract those with the Saturday day pass, the RV'ers, the off site lodgings of any type... I'm betting there were approximately 3,750 - 3,999 that rode in on a bike & camped on-site.

Probably true. When I attended my first BMW MOA rally in 1984 probably 90+ percent of rally attendees camped. As years have passed that proportion has gone down to today where I would be shocked if 60% camped.

But, folks who stay in a hotel are rally attendees too. We have enough discord without declaring which people who attend the rally are first class attendees and which ones are second class or third class.

A whole lot of comments in this and other threads proclaim that the "ride" to and from the rally is the most important thing, while others proclaim it is the meeting old friends that counts the most. I fail to see why camping or hoteling alters either of these things.

p.s. We have stayed in a motel at exactly 1 national rally out of the past 32 attended.

Of even greater interest is how many non-members we can get to attend convert to members. :nod

Ahh ..... spoken like the consumate information architect that you are. :thumb

I don't disagree with your statement, but view it as parallel to the prior one.

The first rule of social navigation, in terms of 'where do you want to go,' is to know first where you are. :deal

But, folks who stay in a hotel are rally attendees too. We have enough discord without declaring which people who attend the rally are first class attendees and which ones are second class or third class.

Hi. My name is BC1100S and I am a hoteller. :D

I have gone to rallies in the past. I will go to more in the future. I will always stay in a hotel.

.....{snip}....First of all, we actually have that venue - it's called The Forum......{snip}.....
Any chance you could remind your readers when you have a chance?
I'll bet the readers of ON would like the forum :whistle
TIA.
OM

Rally sites have been turned down even when this requirement has been met. :dunno

The real reason we have such a limited selection of venues is our requirement to sell our own beer. The really nice places have a concession contract and the concessionaire sells crappy beer at premium prices.

The MOA's position is that we want to control the price of beer so that we can serve better beer at a lower price. The logic holds that this is a safety issue... riders will come to the rally with some decent beer, and when they run out they choose to ride and buy more good beer from the local liquor/grocery store instead of paying $5-7 for a cup of Bud Light. Drinking + riding = risk.

Not saying whether I agree or disagree with this, just outlining the current position on a key requirement.

Ian

For my $0.02 worth, if a great site has beer concessions contracted out to an outside vendor the site should still be considered and an attempt made to cut a deal with the concessionaire, in return for volunteer labor or such. If that is unsuccessful then something along the lines of a volunteer beer shuttle seems in order. If you have a shady tent/building where one can sit and suck suds with friends it matters not from whence the brew came.
Best,

DG

Like all of Canada...

Where, with the current exchange rate, every third day is FREE for those visiting from the US. Think about that for a moment and tell me anyone's budget wouldn't appreciate it.

Shell and Chevron fuel without ethanol AND...the beer that a concessionaire would sell is not swill.

I think Calgary would be a good choice for a rally site.

Where, with the current exchange rate, every third day is FREE for those visiting from the US. Think about that for a moment and tell me anyone's budget wouldn't appreciate it.

Shell and Chevron fuel without ethanol AND...the beer that a concessionaire would sell is not swill.

I think Calgary would be a good choice for a rally site.

No kidding! Invest two weeks there - come for the Calgary Stampede - stay for the MOA Rally. :nra

Practically a 1,600 mi. straight shot from Sheboygan!

For my $0.02 worth, if a great site has beer concessions contracted out to an outside vendor the site should still be considered and an attempt made to cut a deal with the concessionaire, in return for volunteer labor or such. If that is unsuccessful then something along the lines of a volunteer beer shuttle seems in order. If you have a shady tent/building where one can sit and suck suds with friends it matters not from whence the brew came.
Best,

DG

Maybe instead of providing the beer, provide coolers and ice at a reasonable cost for rally goers and allow them to purchase their own been at local outlets?

Trenton, ON was a National a few years back. I missed that one, what was the take on that location? I see they continue to use it for a regional rally site.

Vendors couldn't cross the border for some reason...... That dampened the mood, but the site seemed nice from a day-visitor stand-point. I had lodging at a friend's place on the US side of border.

The MOA needs to buy a huge cruise ship for the rally. Get it with a roll-on, roll-off capability and dock it where you want it. If it is Mississippi and Great Lakes capable then Bob's your uncle. Oh, and with an aircraft carrier deck for campers. Why am I the only person thinking of these wonderful ideas? :scratch

That would be a big issue and probably a valid reason for eliminating Calgary as a rally site. Too bad.

Why it's a problem, is truly baffling to me. Surely, one can do electronic commerce across the border, why not vendors with a tent??

In a somewhat related note, are there any MC products that you can't get in Canada or are only available in Canada? In the last days of the 2-stroke street bikes, I know those products were available in Canada, but not the US. But, that's about the only real example I can think of.

The MOA needs to buy a huge cruise ship for the rally. Get it with a roll-on, roll-off capability and dock it where you want it. If it is Mississippi and Great Lakes capable then Bob's your uncle. Oh, and with an aircraft carrier deck for campers. Why am I the only person thinking of these wonderful ideas? :scratch

Morning coffee and croissant at the Espresso stand. A stroll around the deck to peruse the vendor offerings, then off to the adult beverage offerings and a deck chair.

Repeat as necessary until the closing ceremony.

Sounds a bit boring..........

Why not propose an MOA European river cruise? A boat ride from bar to bar.........The aquatic version of a Harley group ride.

Last edited:
Why it's a problem, is truly baffling to me. Surely, one can do electronic commerce across the border, why not vendors with a tent??

In a somewhat related note, are there any MC products that you can't get in Canada or are only available in Canada? In the last days of the 2-stroke street bikes, I know those products were available in Canada, but not the US. But, that's about the only real example I can think of.

I'm willing to bet the issue would have been vendor sales licences (a provincial matter), importation of product and any duties payable (and then refundable upon returning to US with unsold product - a federal thing).

I'm not aware of any products we get that you don't or vice versa. NAFTA has been a good thing from that perspective. I still see the occasional RG500 and RZ500 running around scaring young women and small children. :laugh

Well thank goodness that the rally was held when it was. We've had week of dense smoke and today snow in the St. Mary's area.

Back