• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Putting bright yellow duct tape on 1200rt.

I remember reading an article in, IIRC Cycle World......perhaps 40 years ago, where New York was considering a law where riders were going to have to have a rotating light- on top of their helmet :eek
OM

To the first poster I believe, the duct tape was not supposed to be permanent at all, just a short week or so till I could find some thing far better which I have.

On our Alaska trip we put duct tape on the front of the radiator trim and fender to protect from rock chips while in BC and Yukon. Once we made it to Alaska and had mostly paved roads were removed the tape. The tape was probably on for a week or two.
When I removed the tape from our bikes I found the glue had removed the clear coat paint and had to repaint those pieces when we returned home.
Our friend with a RT did not have the paint problem.

Tape.jpg

Laird Hot Springs.jpg

Safety supply stores have 3M reflective tape that is sold by the foot. Shopping at one of these stores would most likely give you a reflective/colored tape that would make your almost black bike
visible for under five dollars. Neon green safety vests can found for less than at a bike shop at these stores or for that matter, Harbor Freight might have cheaper priced vests.

With respect to duct tape, for me, taking it off anything seldom produces decent results. I certainly envy your successes.

I believe that all who responded to your questions were trying to give you the answers and advice for which you asked. Please do not give up on this Forum since as a group, a lot of good and helpful knowledge is shared on this site. Unfortunately text does not always read as well as the spirit in which it was intended.

Hope to hear from you in the future.

Thank you again all, the motoreflective is only just that at night, sure wish it were in the day. The gentleman from the pictures stated the clear coat came off. Nothing came off of any place on mine except on the side of the left bag, in the rear about three inches of the paint. But I am wondering if this very, very dark grey bike was repainted, it had 54k miles, a lot but for the low price I paid, others had far fewer miles and were several thousand more and I only had so much I could spend. The area the paint came off was not prepared correctly I don't believe or it could have been sprayed incorrectly. Don't know, don't care now, under the paint is dark fiberglass and you can not see there is any paint missing unless you really look hard. I will do something about this in the summer. I know about the 3M tape and will look into that this summer also. I bought three of the See Me Designer Packs from Conspicuity.com. Put some on my jacket but have to wait for it to warm up quite a bit here as it states the application temp is between 70-90 F and it is winter here in south Tx. The pieces in the pack look a whole lot better than the duct tape did even though all together the packs were far more than the tape was. If it does not work I'll buy a bright vest. The bike looks drastically different with out the bright tape on it and people who saw it ask if I had it painted, no I say I did it. The dark grey bike looks quite black now, I prefer brighter bikes which is why I've painted most that I've owned so others in vehicles can see me, it will get worked out. When I peeled the tape off I did so very slowly as I knew what could happen if I did not, a very little glue was left behind here and there but it all came off easily. If this had been the summer I might or would have had a mess from the glue being left, I feel lucky, won't do that again.

I use their products, but I think they only have black/white or red.

True. I saw that they had red both day & night and figured it was worth a mention. That Conspicuity, Inc web site sure does have some colors to choose from, though. They even have reflective American flag decals. Pretty cool.

Cheers!

Back