• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Purchasing Mexican gasoline

Most Pemex's do not take credit cards. Some do. I have always suspected that a Pemex was a franchise because while the signage is the same nationwide the services offered varies greatly.

During an employment interview at the Lundberg Survey I learned that there are more gas stations in LA, Orange, Ventura and San Bernardino Counties in Southern California than there are Pemex stations in all of Mexico. Something to chew on as you mosey down the road avoiding the topes, manholes with missing lids, spilled loads, sewage geysering up from the road, Federales, Judiciales and MRBs (Mexican racing busses) on your next ride south of the border.

You cross the border with a full tank. You then try to go to the office for tourista papers(assuming going past the 20k line) & bike permit. You then try to get as far as you can past the border to a nicer place that day & stay the night. During that 1st day you hit ATM's until one gives cash with which you buy gasoline throughout Mexico @ the Pemex , which are mostly operated by contracts & pump good stuff. I always ask politely to pump my own & give a small tip. Only on road locations I've been with sparse gasoline are some lonely stretches along the pacific coast roads which required gas from a jug, otherwise I just look at the map and fill up mostly around 150k odometer reading.
I did read recently that the Mexicans are trying to emulate our own stupidity in throwing in some ethanol. It may be in the tanks now in some spots? My bike always runs great on Magna/87 "pure gas" which is all they have in many locales.If you have a "premium thing" going on better buy it when you see it!
The only place in Mexico where they will "like your plastic card" is in a very touristy place or larger business class & above hotels/rest's. in cities. The more affordable places will not take plastic,i.e.,food,lodging & almost all gas.
We have "too many" gas stations here in USA & they are eyesores open & especially closed down!
With all due respect, you are in the wrong forum with Mexico questions.

Last edited:
Well, Franchise is not quite it......sort of like the DMV or IRS is a franchise, eh? Pemex is the State owned petroleum company....Pe (Petrol) Mex (Mexico).....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pemex

Yeah, but while Pemex has a monopoly on gasoline and diesel sales the outlets themselves seem to be a franchise. They vary greatly in quality and services offered. And many have other businesses under the same roof. I can think of one in the desert south of Monterrey that used to have a Church's Fried Chicken; the last time I was there the chicken tasted the same but the Church's signs were gone.

I've read some where that gas can not be purchased via a credit card..

http://www.mexadventure.com/MexicoTravel/Fuel.cfm

..however when I rented a car in Cancun and traveled to Tulum we had no problem using a credit card at a gas pump. Is this regionally only where there are a lot of tourists?

The only times I've ever had problems purchasing gas with a credit card ( Visa ) is before the chip cards came out. In the US at least without a chip card, it wanted your postal code, but wouldn't accept Canadian postal codes only US.

I've been to the US a couple of times in the last two years and no problems with Visa chip card.

I had a delightful ride from Los Angeles to Cabo San Lucas and back in April. I found all the gas I needed. Some barrel gas, which my bike had no problem with, and that was only for insurance, as I probably could have made it to the next stations. I found PeMex all over. Far more than I needed.
And some of them were opening 'MiniMarts' like are so popular here.
I had no sewage, no buses, no federales, well a few, very well mannered and polite, and of course they really enjoyed looking at my bike.
No missing manhole covers, no problems whatsoever. This was not my first trip to Mexico, in fact not my first this year, and it won't be my last.
So basically, there was absolutely nothing to chew on.
dc

I had a delightful ride from Los Angeles to Cabo San Lucas and back in April. I found all the gas I needed. Some barrel gas, which my bike had no problem with, and that was only for insurance, as I probably could have made it to the next stations. I found PeMex all over. Far more than I needed.
And some of them were opening 'MiniMarts' like are so popular here.
I had no sewage, no buses, no federales, well a few, very well mannered and polite, and of course they really enjoyed looking at my bike.
No missing manhole covers, no problems whatsoever. This was not my first trip to Mexico, in fact not my first this year, and it won't be my last.
So basically, there was absolutely nothing to chew on.
dc

+1, Gunny; I've been riding una Motocicleta into Mexico for the last 45 years con no problemos, as PirateJohn says it's a perfect M/C riding land for those who can adapt well!

Back