• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Propping up Fuel Tank/Battery Inspection

bogdan

I have a 2004 R1150R. As you know, the battery is buried under the tank. I have a lead running from the battery with a SAE connector. I use it to maintain the battery and periodically take readings with my meter. Recently, I was unable to get a reading although the bike started easily. It seems the lead is loose at one of the battery terminals. I've removed the tank a few times for the joyous task of brake fluid flush/change. Another time, I just propped the tank up at the rear to inspect the battery. I forgot which fasteners I removed to allow this. Yes...I could figure this out. But...I'm a lazy guy. I was hoping not to mess around taking everything apart, and just get to it. I searched for this info and found nothing. Do any of you have that info at the top of your head or maybe have a link?

Thinking of my GS of similar vintage, or my 95 1100r...
Isn't it just removing any lower trim from the tank and taking out the one bolt on the rear rt side and lifting up the tank?
Of course, disconnecting hoses and electrical if necessary.
Once you've gone that far, it is just as easy to remove the tank and take a look at all the other stuff under there.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Those SAE connectors at the battery have a habit of breaking at the joint of the wire and the eyelet. You may have to crimp on a new connector.

Did you check the fuse in the lead?

Yes...I it was a blown fuse. Thanks, jrogers....it's not beyond me to neglect the simple and obvious. Couldn't find anything that would cause a small 5W solar charger to blow a 7.5A fuse. I'm told that sometimes they just wear out.

The tank, at the rear, can be propped up 4 inches by removing 2 torx screws on the right - fuel line cover and side panel, 1 torx screw on the left - side panel and long torx bolt on right that secures tank to frame. It's much easier than removing the whole enchilada. There was enough room to mess with the fuse but working with the terminals would be tricky.

You guys have a meaningful Good Friday

Back