• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Product Review: Run-N-Lights, K-Tail-2

ted

Dum vivimus vivamus
(Note - Review with pics being submitted to the ON)

I bought my first BMW in 1994, it was a '88 K75S and I loved that bike. I put about 40k miles on it before I sold it (for more than I bought it) riding it everywhere from Meat Cove, NS to Key West, FL. Aside from removing the flapper and c-bars, the only real mod I did was to add Run-N-Lights.

You see the tail end of classic K bikes (aka the K75, K100, K1100 and the K1) are woefully "underlighted" with but a single running light, which lights up with an additional brake-only light when the brakes are applied. Run-N-Lights double that- with a new running light bulb socket that not only turns the old brake-only light into a running light, but adds two new type-921 bulbs as additional brake lights in the unused side compartments of the rear light cluster. I loved this on the K75S! When my good friend Larry Fears followed me back to DC from our local club's tech session where i installed them he liked them so much he ordered a set for himself that very night.

I traded the K75S for a new-ish K1100RS and adding Run-N-Lights was one of the first things I did. I crashed that bike and it was almost eight years before I bought another, a K75RT. Over the last few years I've owned the RT I've often thought about adding lights in the rear. LED lights are the new thing, but honestly nothing I've found yet does running and brake lights without having to do a fair bit of surgery. I recently came across the old running light bulb socket from my K1100RS and remembering how much i liked them set about to find if they were still sold. I thought they would be long out of business as has so many other companies catering to Classic Kbikes. The website was still up, but it just had a phone number. I googled a bit more and found there is still a complete website with all kinds of things, just for some reason inaccessible from the front page:
http://www.run-n-lites.com/AppGuide-Run-n-lites.html

I found what I wanted, the K-Tail-2, called and ordered them. Run-N-Lights is now being operated by Klaus at EMC in Tennet, NJ. Two days later they showed up, but were the wrong kind. I called Klaus and he immediately shipped out the correct ones, and I promised to send the wrong ones right back. Here is where it gets interesting... I mistakenly sent him a Bluetooth headset I was returning for repair (and UClear got the brake lights.). All parties got a good laugh at my expense and soon the packages were on the way to the right places.

I received the new, correct package two days later along with an unexpected surprise, $6 tucked in to cover the cost of my return. This morning I set about to install them. It took all of about 10 minutes with the only tool needed the little screwdriver from the toolset. The directions are clear and everything is plug and play. First I removed the two thumb wheels from inside the rear compartment to release the rear light cluster (some artful maneuvering is required for those with ABS-1). Then it is simply a matter of replacing the rear running light socket with the new one, unplugging some wires (the little screwdriver helps here) and plugging them back in to new places. Everything is color-coded, a nice new upgrade from the old versions. Then I added the two new brake lights, they just slide into place in the cluster, one on each side. Then I tested it, worked like a charm, and screwed the cluster back into place.

The cost is under $50 and the result is outstanding. Customer service from Klaus at EMC was also outstanding, couldnt have asked for better. As for ease of install, if you've ever changed your oil you're way overqualified. Each of the two type-921 brake side lights puts out 264 lumens, it really lights up! Best of all, aside from doubling the light output from the rear of course, is that it is an easy plug and play install which retains a totally stock look (that won't confuse your BMU or your charge light...)

Five out of five stars, get it if you are running stock and don't want to mess with LEDs. I shouldn't have waited so long!

(On a side note, Run-N-Lights also sells a whole host of LED light kits too if you are so inclined.)

Last edited:
I've also bought & installed his products, including the K-tail, on my K's and R's. Great stuff and no issues.

Slight tangent:
I just found a LED replacement for the 1157 bulb at AutoZone - Pep Boys, NAPA, O'Reilly's, and Peerless only had red or amber, and I wanted white, so this is what I got. $20 for the pair. Haven't installed one in my RT yet (I've converted both bulbs to dual filament); note that the tail light is only on the periphery, not the "rear" face, so I'll have to see how that works out, but with a 9 volt battery held to the terminals, it lights up pretty brightly. Time to experiment...

Pilot Automotive p/n IL-1157W-15; $20 + tax
13000 Temple Ave., Industry, CA 91746
www.pilotautomotive.com
http://www.pilotautomotive.com/led/IL-1157W-15_grid.html

Hit the second link for pictures.

ADDENDUM: I see that Pilot also has replacements for the 1156 on their site... If they're good, they make those Spektrum bulbs (as described on page 32 of the May ON) pretty [darned] over-priced.

Another 1157 replacement may be from 1000bulbs.com in Texas, p/n PLT 1157-24SMD5050-30K.

Last edited:
I installed a K-Tail-2 on my '87 K100RT years ago. If I remember correctly it doubled the brake light area and thripled the running light area. Neat. I removed it when I was going to sell the bike. The bike was in pretty good shape, but I knew it wouldn't bring what I thought it was worth. Decided to keep it and make a plain bike out of it. Will reinstall the the K-Tail-2. :thumb

Back