• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Pre-purchase Adviceon 2006 K1200GT

B

BRAHMA

Greetings...

I'm looking for pre-purchase advice on a 2006 K1200GT I test rode yesterday. It has 3300+ miles on it.

I've had the same K100RT for 20 years, and expected some serious advancements, and really found them! Very cool bike! Here are my questions...

1. I rode it about 30 miles, including both urban and freeway. I could NEVER find neutral unless fully stopped. Is this normal or is it just not broken in?

2. Every shift it REALLY "clunked" into gear. I mean REALLY. I know my K100RT is now worn and "buttery', but WOW, the GT was loud and abrupt. Again, is this normal? Yes, I was using the clutch!

3. I cannot find a published BMW maintenance schedule. I attribute good scheduled maintenance to how my K100RT has served me so well over 20 years. I find it really strange I can't find a BMW schedule for the 2006 GT. Anyone know where I can find one? I'd like to review before purchase.

4. Are there any resources here at BMWMOA or anywhere else online for recalls? Does the 2006 GT have any I can deal with at time of negotiation/purchase?

5. What the heck is the "onboard computer" option? This GT has the display that shows the ESA and gas mileage stuff- is that the "onboard computer"?

6. I don't know if this one has the xenon headlight option. Is it worthwhile and easy to install after purchase?

7. Neither I or the salesman could find a view port/tube for the water level. Where'd they hide that?

That's it for now, and I really appreciate hitting the base of GT owners for info!

Brahma

Last edited:
4. Are there any resources here at BMWMOA or anywhere else online for recalls?

Recalls are listed on the National Highway Traffic Safety Commission website. They're lumped in with the cars - there aren't any motorcycle specific listings I'm aware of. You search by year and model.

About a month ago, I participated in a thread about the MOA obtaining and disseminating service bulletins to members. The short story is that BMW never admits mistakes unless the government forces it to through a formal recall, and thus they claim the bulletins as proprietary and won't release them - even to members of the MOA.

That's as expected...

Just wondered if any '06 GT owners know of any themselves....

Be sure to test ride on a warm day. That toasty feeling on the legs requires a different foot position. That occurs on my 03 GT and that big slab of Tupperware on new models may have solved the problem.

Greetings..

2. Every shift it REALLY "clunked" into gear. I mean REALLY. I know my K100RT is now worn and "buttery', but WOW, the GT was loud and abrupt. Again, is this normal? Yes, I was using the clutch!

3. I cannot find a published BMW maintenance schedule. I attribute good scheduled maintenance to how my K100RT has served me so well over 20 years. I find it really strange I can't find a BMW schedule for the 2006 GT. Anyone know where I can find one? I'd like to review before purchase.

Brahma

I own a 2005 K1200S, and the K1200 transmission is clunky. I exchanged a 1150RT for the KS, and the transmissions on the two feel and sound the same (nothing else sounds the same, however!).

The word is that BMW wants the new K1200 bikes (R/K/GT) to be serviced only by the dealer. The KS owner's manual is almost useless, and I assume the KGT manual is the same. The maintenance schedule is oil change every 3000 mi and dealer service (brake fluid, check valves, etc.) every 6000 mi or anually, whichever comes first. My owner's manual gives a web address for a maintenance schedule, but apparently BMW took it off the web.

The new K bikes are amazing machines, but BMW is discouraging owners from doing their own wrenching.

BTW, changing the oil on the K1200 is easy.

ride safe,

peterh

pre-purchase advice

Every shift it really clunked into gear. Brahma

I just rode a demo GT last week and was surprised by the clanging shifts. It made me wonder about the durability of the box, but there is no indication at the present time that it is not reliable. Not what I expected from BMW actually, and I have to admit the bike was a bit disappointing.

I would think that an aftermarket xenon light kit would not be difficult to install.

Rinty

Getting scared now...

What is beginning to scare me are two things- the clanky trans and the missing maintenanance schedule. I have no real intention of doing the maintenance myself over and above oil and filters. My main concern about that is trying to ascertain how much maintenance the GT will actualy need. Not having a published schedule is ridiculous and scary, and not in line with how BMW has always seemed to work before. I am wondering if thy are just trying to drive up maintenance revenue from the dealers, by alowing the computer to spit out whatever supposed random chore they need to do/charge for- this is NOT what I want to buy into, and why I NEED GT owner input here ASAP.

The clanky trans is alos pretty scary. I jsut don't get that. I haven't ridden any other motorcycle at all in 20 years that I've owned my K100RT, so I don't know if that is acceptable.

Calling all GT owners! I need more input PLEASE!

Valves every 6k sounds kind of high...

By the way, checking the valves every 6k sound kind of high and "pricey" as well. Is this really a BMW?

Back