• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Possible purchase - first time BMW 1600

jeffdag

I will be test riding a 1600 this weekend. If I like it, I will most likely purchase the bike new. I have read many complaints about the water pump and left side cluster problems. Have these issues been addressed in the new model year? Are there any other ongoing repairs issues/recalls that I need to aware of?

Thanks - I am new to the forum and to BMW.

I had a 2011 R1200RT and trade it in for a 2016 Cosmic Blue K1600GT. I rode it home on November 16 from the dealer (100miles) and it was the sweetest ride ever. Winter is coming around here and my Job keeps me busy in the winter months but It will be a very long winter here:cry

I will be test riding a 1600 this weekend. If I like it, I will most likely purchase the bike new. I have read many complaints about the water pump and left side cluster problems. Have these issues been addressed in the new model year? Are there any other ongoing repairs issues/recalls that I need to aware of?

Water pumps were mainly the 2012 models.
Left (and right) side clusters were all factory recalls (back in early 2014), the newer models should all be fine.
My early 2013 model has never had a problem in its 40,000 miles so far.

Don't even worry about it

All those problems seem to have been overcome a long while ago. When you read about them on the web, remember they are out of context. Reported problems in how many of the thousands sold and the tens and hundreds of thousands of miles? If you like the bike, it's the greatest two-up touring bike I've ever owned. I've had mine (GTLE) for almost a year now and no problems, but remember, even my statement is anecdotal and out of context. Got off of it after a 200 mile ride yesterday with all smiles, still amazed at what an amazingly smooth and powerful cornering machine this is. Wow.

Water pumps were mainly the 2012 models.
Left (and right) side clusters were all factory recalls (back in early 2014), the newer models should all be fine.
My early 2013 model has never had a problem in its 40,000 miles so far.

well...we don't have 40K on our 2013 yet but like 2bikers.....no issues. (no water pump issues and switch clusters wer:dancee replaced in warranty during routine service....never had an issue.)

Back