• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Picking up a Tip-Over-K1600GT

I have dropped mine twice. Both times I was so pissed that the Adrenalin made it easy to pick up.
The last time a guy came running over to help and stopped me half way up so he could put the kickstand down
to keep me from throwing it over on its other side.:banghead

I use a button I carry hanging on my chest: I just press it and say "I 've fallen and I can't get up". Someone always comes to help me

Been there......

While pre-riding a group ride, my wife and I meandered down a road that goes around a reservoir I had set on the GPS....only to find it closed off with Jersey Barriers. There was a side street to the left that intersected into the road we were on just before the dead end, however it had a slight incline down to the road we were on. Plenty of room, wide etc....so I say to myself, lets just make a nice easy U-turn. As I turn toward the left incline, I let out the clutch a bit and give a lil throttle, to find I neglected to down shift from 3rd. Motor stalled....bike came to abrupt stop, and with no forward speed, fell over on the left side like a Benny Hill Show stunt.
Wife bruised elbow, I tore my jacket sleeve but other than that we were ok.
I had to upright the bike from a FULL left fall PLUS it was actually further over due to the downward sloping side street....so I got my body in the typical "lift a motorcycle position", had my wife ready herself to flip the side stand down as soon as it was up far enough, and with a single 59 year old "GRUNT" we did it.
JUST then, a local PD officer showed up, help us take a breather and dress my wifes elbow scrape (10 min earlier she removed her jacket with armor (I suggested she leave it on....but), because she was warm. Sheeeesh)
Anyway...we did OK....Katerina however needed $1400 worth of replacement Tupperware and other plastic doo-hickeys to make her look purdy again.
Lesson learned.....Come to full stop and analyze the situation better....and "leave your GEAR ON!!!!!

Been There, also

We dropped our bike when I pulled into a parking area to put on a warmer jacket liner. The slope of the parking area wasn't apparent and when I went to plant my feet my left foot kept going. By the time it got footing it was too late and we were beyond the crucial angle for me to hold the bike. After several years fighting the high center of gravity of a K1200GT, I love the weight distribution of my K1600GT but if I go beyond a certain threshold the heavier weight of my K1600GT works against me. My wife and I tumbled onto the pavement and she learned that gloves are not just for keeping your hands warm (only a minor case of road-rash). The simple answer to how to pick up a K1600: Wait until a couple of guys on Harleys come by and they will get it up for you. Unfortunately, one of them fell victim to the same problem of perception as me and before he could get his kickstand down his bike went over. My Ilium engine guards protected the engine and running lights but the slope of the ground turned the bar into a pivot and the bike went over on the fairing. A few scrapes on the fairing and some replacement parts was all this lesson cost me. I now I put my feet to the ground just before coming to a complete stop when the slope of the ground is unknown and Kristen always wears gloves on the bike. I also have a new appreciation for Harley riders.
PS: If your K1600 does not have engine guards think seriously about getting a set. The reports of damage from having one these bikes fall over to engine and radiator makes them more than an accessory.

Back