• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Picking up a Tip-Over-K1600GT

tomkennedy

Without any embarassing admissions on my part here, l am getting tired of my smirking neighbors asking if anybody is under the bike in my driveway. This has been going on for a week, and I am starting to become concerned that my wife will eventually throw out her back trying to right it. Her poor old bones are starting to become bit frail.

Has anyone firgured out how one person can pick up one of these top heavy monsters. At least with the H-D Electra Glide the floor board or mufflers kept it from going all the way down, so it could be righted fairly easily.

On You Tube there are several videos on how to lift a large motorcycle that is taking a nap. I see nothing specific to the K1600, but the techniques all look similar and will likely transfer to lifting the K1600. Several videos use a woman as the demonstrator. Getting assistance whenever possible is always the best course of action.

Thanks Kevin,

I don't believe any of those bikes go over as far as the 1600. Seems like once it goes more than 3/4 of the way you have almost the full weight to pick up. Probably the best answer is to get a bigger wife, but then, who knew.

> ... Has anyone firgured out how one person can pick up one of these top heavy monsters.[?]

I always carry at least one tie-down strap. It's a handy way to ratchet up your bike without dropping it on yourself (done that, too). A big come-along will scratch something that a nylon tie-down won't. A tie-down is better kept in a top case or tank bag, because the butter-first rule applies to side cases when tip-overs occur. If you don't have a handy guardrail or tree, belay the tie-down to a trailer hitch.

One time I tipped my RT over in Nova Scotia and a family of five stopped right away to help. Another time in Tennessee, I was helped instantly by two guys in a Ram pickup. I never got to call AAA in either case. You could always do that, I suppose.

... Has anyone firgured out how one person can pick up one of these top heavy monsters. At least with the H-D Electra Glide the floor board or mufflers kept it from going all the way down, so it could be righted fairly easily.

I saw a demo once by some police department rep that appeared awfully neat. Seemed to be different from the common back-to-the-fallen-bike-and-walk-backwards technique. This different technique involved turning the handlebars in the opposite direction so the wheel and tire point up at the sky. Then a single person holds the front brake and simply steps forward and the bike sort of magically rolls upright. Looked so easy that I was suspicious ... but it worked.

Disclaimer: I never tried this and it likely involves much more than my above description. Perhaps you can find a video on Youtube.

If you have the BMW engine protection bars on it and do a parking lot/stationary drop, it'll very likely tip over the pivot point on the bars and rest on it's side. From that position, it doesn't take a lot of effort to get it back up over that pivot point where it's resting on the guard. Then, it's just a conventional lift: turn around and squat with your lower back against the edge of the seat and, holding the bar end and the rear grab rail, lift with your legs while pushing up and back. Just don't get over zealous and flip it on the other side.

Been there, done that, both sides.

Tomkennedy: There are several different manufacturers of engine guard bars out there. Some bars extend outward a little further than others so the bike doesn't fall over as far as it would with other or no bars. I bought the Alt Rider bars that stand out from the side of the bike more than most. I then mounted a set of Ilium highway foot pegs on them and the package looks really nice. Some claim they have "bottomed out" on the Alt Rider guard bars, but I never have and I ride rather briskly at times. The one instance I remember someone saying they rubbed the Alt Rider bars in a curve on his K1600 the bike had two people on it and it was loaded with luggage. Common sense should rule in that situation. Anyway, go to the Alt Rider website and take a look at the bars. They have several pics of them in a K1600.

Rick

Tomkennedy: There are several different manufacturers of engine guard bars out there. Some bars extend outward a little further than others so the bike doesn't fall over as far as it would with other or no bars. I bought the Alt Rider bars that stand out from the side of the bike more than most. I then mounted a set of Ilium highway foot pegs on them and the package looks really nice. Some claim they have "bottomed out" on the Alt Rider guard bars, but I never have and I ride rather briskly at times. The one instance I remember someone saying they rubbed the Alt Rider bars in a curve on his K1600 the bike had two people on it and it was loaded with luggage. Common sense should rule in that situation. Anyway, go to the Alt Rider website and take a look at the bars. They have several pics of them in a K1600.

Rick

How can I get the new bars on the bike that is snoozing in my driveway? :)

Open the upward pannier, fill with potting soil, plant petunias.

Classiest planter on the block.

Since the original post is nearly 2 months old it is reasonable to assume that the bike has been righted and some off topic and irreverent comments are appropriate.

Without any embarassing admissions on my part here, l am getting tired of my smirking neighbors asking if anybody is under the bike in my driveway. This has been going on for a week, and I am starting to become concerned that my wife will eventually throw out her back trying to right it. Her poor old bones are starting to become bit frail.

Has anyone firgured out how one person can pick up one of these top heavy monsters. At least with the H-D Electra Glide the floor board or mufflers kept it from going all the way down, so it could be righted fairly easily.

I gotta say the obvious answer is...don't drop it.....:p

It sounds like this is an on-going occurrence ?....something you're doing wrong ? :blush

I have Ilium engine guards and footpegs and rear bag protectors made by a member of the K1600 forum. The bike won't roll past these (ask me how I know) and the bike is much easier to pickup after a tip over.

I just found this thread and have to say the side stand on my 12 GTL is too long, my bike tipped over closing the side box!

I just found this thread and have to say the side stand on my 12 GTL is too long, my bike tipped over closing the side box!

When in doubt (I have a bad left leg), I put my K16 into 2-up suspension mode. That makes the bike lean over a little more onto the side-stand.

Agreed. Sometimes even the slant on the side of the road is too much to be able to park.

Look at my Profile and pictures -
I have bars on the Back of my bike just forward of the bags - and those will PREVENT the bike from tipping over and will also prevent ANY damage to the bike too - I also have the ALTrider bars too -

:)

Back