• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Pichler Fairing

R

rvbeemer

I found a used Pichler EXS fairing for sale. I was thinking about putting it on my 77 R100S. I was told that it would fit but since it was for a monoshock model, there would be an issue with the headlight, bucket and all the wiring contained ie; it would have to be removed and something done with the wiring. Has anyone ever dealt with this situation? Or do you think it would be more trouble than it's worth?:dunno
Ronnie

Pichler fairing

I would avoid Pichler fairings. They break very easily, sometimes simply due to the stress placed in the plastic in the molding process. This is frequently seen in the thin areas in front of the cylinders. They also fit rather poorly and are noisy.

My wife's R65LS has a Pichler fairing on it, it looks good and she likes the wind protection it offers without being too tall and acting like a sail in crosswinds.
We will be taking it off this winter to do some work on the bike, if you're interseted PM us and we'll take some pictures of how it's installed.
(We bought the bike with it already mounted, so I can't tell you how easy or hard it was).

I would avoid Pichler fairings. They break very easily, sometimes simply due to the stress placed in the plastic in the molding process. This is frequently seen in the thin areas in front of the cylinders. They also fit rather poorly and are noisy.

Lostboy,
Have you experienced this yourself? I've heard alot of good stuff about the Pichlers. Just need to know. Not getting too much info.

My wife's R65LS has a Pichler fairing on it, it looks good and she likes the wind protection it offers without being too tall and acting like a sail in crosswinds.
We will be taking it off this winter to do some work on the bike, if you're interseted PM us and we'll take some pictures of how it's installed.
(We bought the bike with it already mounted, so I can't tell you how easy or hard it was).

Bob,
Thanks for the offer. What year is your R65? I don't know if the R65 would help me much as I really need to hear from someone who has installed a Pichler on a pre 80 R100. They are very good looking fairings for aftermarket and I can't help but believe they are much better than a handlebar mount fairing. Maybe some more people will respond.
Ronnie

I worked in a BMW dealership when Pichlers were first imported, so I saw quite a few of these fairings. Breakage was chronic.

Bob,
Thanks for the offer. What year is your R65? I don't know if the R65 would help me much as I really need to hear from someone who has installed a Pichler on a pre 80 R100. They are very good looking fairings for aftermarket and I can't help but believe they are much better than a handlebar mount fairing. Maybe some more people will respond.
Ronnie

It's an '82. I know the airhead frames changed somewhat in '81. Unfortunately my R100 is an '81 so I can't directly compare our two and tell you what the exact differences are between hers and yours.
However, the only real structural differences between the post '80 twin shock R65 and the bigger airheads appears to be the front and rear suspension, wheels, and rear subframe. The twin loop main frame is virtually identical, so installation ought to be about about the same.
As far as breakage is concerned, hers has some faint stress cracks on either side in front of the cylinder openings, but nothing more. It is after all, a 26 year old bike with over 90,000 miles on it, I would imagine the fairings been there for most of them.

IMHO you would do much better to get a Hannigan fairing when a used one becomes available. The Hannigan is better built, has parts available, and has a near infinite range of adjustability to suit any rider.

Exs? Pk3?

Isn't the EXS the handlebar mount that looks a bit like the old "Rifle" or Charlie Perethian's "Scout?"

The PK 2 or PK 3 is the full fairing w/ wrap-around lowers that kinda resembles the R100RS. No?

I had a PK 2/3? for many years on my R100 and yes, there was some stress cracking around the mounting holes on the sides. I used some kind of liquid plastic or glue or whatever i found in my garage to reinforce, and they were just fine for a number of years. Plus I really like the fairing; good looks, good protection, you could use bar-end mirrors, and the lowers came off very easily for maintainence.

Gene,
No, it's not the handlebar mount, it's a full fairing that uses the mounts similar to the RS fairing steming from the 2 holes on the neck of the frame.
Ronnie

Hey, Ronnie. how you doing? i just did a quick yahoo search and found several pages of Pichler stuff, icluding a page of how to install. (on a Magna)It also looks like Pichler is still making fairings.....and bathtubs and all kinds of plastic stuff. They've even got a new model mounted on an R100R. I can't get the url to copy/paste, but it should be ez enough to google or whatever "Pichler fairings" and find the same info.
good luck. Let us know if it's helpful.

Last edited:
Bob's BMW has an R80 or R100 (I forget) with a full Pichler fairing. It's a handsome look IMO but what impressed me most was it looks like access to the oil filter, plug wires, etc. would be as much a hassle as a K100RT. The mirrors may drip rain right onto your hands, not sure.

Interesting to see a headlight from an early oilhead on an airhead. Not sure of all Pichlers are like that or not.

I took a few pictures of it because its the first aftermarket one I've liked.Now that I see the pics again, the lower part of the fairing may come off easier than I thought. Anyway, I think the bike is still for sale, out of range to me though by at least a couple thousand compared to other R80's on the market. :drink

Attachments

• tmpphpFHKpjf.jpg
    tmpphpFHKpjf.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
I had the same fairing for several years. The mirrors might well drip. But to me, the beauty part was that bar-end mirrors fit. At least w "S" bars. The lowers aren't too bad at all to take off for oil changes etc. Maybe a dozen or fifteen screws/bolts, and the three-piece lowers are off.
I liked mine. Cooler in hot weather than the R100RS, and nice protection.

Back