• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

PIAA Lights Shutting Down

greenwald

Curious if anyone knows why my PIAA lights on my R1200RT shut down every time I bounce over a significant bump in the road?

There is no permanent damage (i.e. loose or blown fuse, bad battery connection, etc.) - I am able to switch the lights back on each and every time they mysteriously cancel.

They will be on for ten miles or ten seconds, however long it takes to go over a good 'thump' in the roadway.

They worked fine for months after they were dealer-installed in April, but are now giving me fits.

Any ideas??

Have you checked the wire, switch, and relay connections? I'd bet one of them has worked a little loose and is breaking contact when you hit a bump.

The fact that you can switch them back on is the puzzling part. I definitely agree about checking all the connections and such. And keep us posted on this.

+1 on that. If something had worn through a power wire you'd be blowing fuses as it grounded out. It sounds like something is just a little loose.

Have you checked the wire, switch, and relay connections? I'd bet one of them has worked a little loose and is breaking contact when you hit a bump.

Should Know Wednesday

Headed up to Nicks BMW (DePere, WI) Wednesday for some professional trouble-shooting. Afterall, they installed the lights.

When I called the tech on the phone, he mentioned something about a 'relay?'

Will keep you informed once problem is diagnosed.

Thanks.

Loose Connection

Tech at Nick's BMW dug around under the dash area and eventually found a loose connection. Was actually fairly tough to locate, so not something I probably would have found. Once repaired, I can now thump over small grizzlies and still have the PIAA lights stay on.

Hey - was a good excuse for a ride from Sheboygan to Green Bay and back, anyways.

Returning to Green Bay tomorrow when my son takes care of paperwork to officially conclude his eight years as a Marine (including combat in Iraq).

I'd breathe easier, but damn - he went off and became a Sheriff's Deputy. No sense in that kid, but sure am proud of him.

Ride Often and Alert!

Last edited:
Back