• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Petrol Gage Needed

spencer14554

Need to purchase a K100 RT (1987) Petrol Gage (p/n 62 16 1459 565). This is the float controlled device that turns on the low fuel light and through which the power for the fuel pump passes.FLF-565-2T.jpg

Last edited:
Have you checked with a dealer? There are some used part places that might have something.

Not sure where you’d find one but the best fuel monitoring device I’ve seen on the early K’s is the Fuel+. It replaces your clock, is calibrated to your available fuel, speed and rate of use to tell you how much fuel remains, or how many miles left on the tank. You reset it at each fill up. The company that made them originally made something similar for aircraft. I know they’re not made anymore but if you could find one, they’re hard to beat, much better that the factory idiot lights.
IMG_1788.jpeg

Not sure where you’d find one but the best fuel monitoring device I’ve seen on the early K’s is the Fuel+. It replaces your clock, is calibrated to your available fuel, speed and rate of use to tell you how much fuel remains, or how many miles left on the tank. You reset it at each fill up. The company that made them originally made something similar for aircraft. I know they’re not made anymore but if you could find one, they’re hard to beat, much better that the factory idiot lights.
View attachment 92214

I bought one shortly before the gentleman who made them stopped production. Basically it failed to function properly after a brief period. After a rally, I rode to him and he replaced it with his remaining one, his from his own bike which he installed and setup for me. It failed on my trip home. I had read about the unit in Motorcycle Consumer News. It was a great tool when it worked, but my first one functioned less than one riding season, the second only a few hundred miles.

I can not recommend a Fuel+ after my experience.

I bought one shortly before the gentleman who made them stopped production. Basically it failed to function properly after a brief period. After a rally, I rode to him and he replaced it with his remaining one, his from his own bike which he installed and setup for me. It failed on my trip home. I had read about the unit in Motorcycle Consumer News. It was a great tool when it worked, but my first one functioned less than one riding season, the second only a few hundred miles.

Paul,
I’ve had this one since the early ‘90’s on two different K bikes and it’s never failed me in well over 100,000 miles.

Paul,

Unless I’m mistaken, doesn’t the Fuel Plus still requires a functioning factory sending unit. That is what the OP seeks. Or does the Fuel Plus come with a new, in tank, sending unit?

:dance:dance:dance

Lee, it's been at least 13 or years since I had the unit. If I recall correctly, it had something that was installed in the tank as well as a magnet on the back wheel. Being extremely mechanically inept, I had a mechanic do the install. Mine had a small computer readout which installed on the handlebar. It was an excellent tool when it worked, giving current fuel consumption, fuel usage in either mpg or km/k as well as fuel range remaining plus possibly more that I don't recall.

I was very disappointed when it not only failed (twice) but that part replacements were no longer available. It was a first rate addition to my basic K100RT when working.

Lee,
How are you doing?
I installed my own. Nothing in the tank. It doesn’t use the in tank sending unit. It taps into the fuel injection plug under the side cover, and the speedometer. To calibrate it, you can use their standard use info for either the K75 or the K100, or you can calibrate it manually. The system compares the rate of speed with efi fuel pulses (the rate of fuel used), and tells you how many miles remain on the tank at that rate of speed. Reset at each fill up.

I had a 1985 K100rs
It had the 2 lights, a yellow and red one
Worked for crap
The odometer was my fuel gauge. 200 miles time for gas.

Back